Problem with ibook g3 900 mhz

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FreshPrince, Feb 4, 2008.

1. FreshPrince macrumors newbie

Hello all, I just got my first mac a few days ago and I seem to have a few problems

1-I updated mac os x 10.2 to 10.4 and now I can`t seem to open safari,itunes or mac osx, the logos bounce up and down but nothing happens, I don`t know if it`s because of the update but they were running fine before. I also deleted some java files before the problem and I`m wondering if maybe it may have something to do with that.

2-I`ve had problems with the sound, when I`d play something through the built in speakers it was fine but then I tried to play something through my headphones,computer speakers and my surround sound and the sound was distorted. Now I messed with the sound setting and made the sound favour the right speaker a little more and it seemed to work, my question is if this is really the solution or if there`s a problem with the computer itself.

3-Another small question about the sound, when I hooked up my computer speakers to the computer there was a buzzing sounds as if there was static or something,the same thing happened to my surround sound but it went away when i unplugged the ac adapterso I tried unplugging the ac adapter when the computer speakers were hooked up but the problem was still there. I`m just wondering if it`s the kind of speakers I`m using or again a problem with the computer itself.Also when I was trying to play the sound through the surround sound with the ac adapter plugged in I unplugged one of the wires from the a/v of the surround sound and it seemed to work, but then I only had sound from one speaker so I was also wondering if the problem is the wires or the surround sound.

Anyways that`s all for now, any help would be much appreciated

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. Spievy macrumors regular

#3 - The static sound when you plug the speakers to the computer is normal, if the speakers are on and amplified

#2 - Not sure of the problem here, you might have a issue with the sound port on the computer. I would keep trying different headphones and speakers to isolate the problem.

#1 - I would boot on the 10.4 disc again and do an archive and install. The option should be under "custom" or "Option" when you click the drive to install 10.4.

Hope this helps

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Since he just got the computer, he probably doesn't have much on it yet, it may be better to erase the drive and do a clean install.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

1. Erase and install. After install, "Repair Permissions"
    2. Sounds like damaged sound output port. Go into System Preference / Sound, and make sure the balance is in the middle.
    3. Probably damaged sound output port that is loose. If that's the case then the least hassel option is to use a USB sound card.

I have not seen that on a Mac since a 604e. If it's not for problem #2, I would say it's Ground Loop. If that's the case Ground Loop Isolator will probably solve it.

6. FreshPrince thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the replies, about the idea of erasing the drive and just starting from new, I thought about that since I don`t have much on the computer. The only problem is that I ordered the computer off e-bay and I just got the computer and ac adapter with no software.

By the way I checked the console log when trying to open itunes and safari and it says itunes crashed, reason:image not found.

7. Spievy macrumors regular

Well I guess all 8 of my macs are broken then :D

All make a buzz when I first connect the mini jack