problem with iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by hyroboarder, Sep 1, 2007.

1. hyroboarder macrumors member

Every time I go away on iChat and I shut the monitor off on my computer, I come back to a message that says "the connection to ichat has been lost unexpectedly." This doesn't just happen sometimes, it happens EVERY TIME. I am running the newest update and everything. Any help?

Edit: I read the guidelines:

Running newest version of OSX (not Leopard beta though)
    Running newest version of iChat
    Running new iMac 24" base model

Only one mac is in the household except my mom's for work, only one user on my machine.

2. kolax macrumors G3

Are you sure your computer isn't going to sleep while you are away?

Go to System Preferences --> Energy and check to see how long after inactivity it is set to go to sleep.

3. hyroboarder thread starter macrumors member

wait, the internet shuts down when the computers asleep? Sorry this is *technically* my first mac.

4. kolax macrumors G3

Yup. Your computer going to sleep is the same as shutting it down, with the exception that when you put your computer to sleep, any open programs and documents will remain open.

When you put your computer to sleep, any active downloads will be aborted and all connections dropped.

5. a.e.windsor macrumors newbie

ichat communication error

i live in st. john's newfoundland and i want to chat with my friend in ontario. she uses her ichat all the time with local friends. I tried to use mine for the first time, but every time we tried to video chat we got a message that said there was a communication error. report 4 or something. We both have .mac accounts and have macbooks with the isight camera. Why can we chat in ichat but not video chat?