problem with importing 3-D images in to photoshop.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by o0BenMc0o, Jul 6, 2011.

1. o0BenMc0o macrumors member

I tried to open a '.kmz' 3-D file into photoshop to edit, however when I tried this, the following message appeared - Could not complete the New Layer from 3D File command because there is not enough memory (RAM).

Now my iMac has 4gb RAM, which I think is quite enough to open this file, so I don't really understand what the problem is, is there an alternative way of opening it?

I did 3D -> New Layer from 3D file -> import

Thanks,

Ben.

2. KiwiGoneDutch, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

KiwiGoneDutch macrumors newbie

I got the same error and it's really aggravating. it's an error that I can't do anything with even Adobe's troubleshooting didn't help me.

my setup:
    Macbook Pro 15" (early 2011), 8GB RAM, with HI-res display, AMD Radeon HD 6750M.

what I've done to figure out any issues I made a Sphere in Maya and exported it as an .obj (it's only 4kb in size) then imported to Photoshop and still got the (Could not complete the New Layer from 3D File command because there is not enough memory (RAM).) error.
    I've also exported a few versions with all file options ON and OFF.
    Photoshop doesn't give much options in importing. so I'm out of ideas, what am I missing?

Edit; I've been successful in importing .3ds but only models with a low face count. my problem is I can only create .3ds on windows which defeats the purpose of wanting to do it in Lion (don't like rebooting just to try something)