Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
Hi, I've takes some videos with my digital camera. When I connect it to my Mac, iPhoto opens up and imports them, and I have all the videos in their own event.

When I open up iMovie 08 to edit these clips, they do not show up in the event library under iPhoto videos...

what am I doing wrong?

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
ok I think I see the problem...the files are .mov but for some reason, iMovie refuses to recognize them...

I moved them out of iphoto and right onto the desktop and tried to import them manually and they are all greyed out and I cant select them...

imovie HD has no problem accepting them....this is weird....why wouldn't imovie take a .mov file?

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
ok I think I see the problem...the files are .mov but for some reason, iMovie refuses to recognize them...

I moved them out of iphoto and right onto the desktop and tried to import them manually and they are all greyed out and I cant select them...

imovie HD has no problem accepting them....this is weird....why wouldn't imovie take a .mov file?

I found that out the other day too. You can drag and drop .mov files into 06, but 08 doesnt accept them. Think thats a big mistake on apples part.

I like imovie08, but the importing definitely needs to be improved. ALL my iphoto movies, which were taken on my digital camera (avi files) import into imovie with a date of Dec 31, 1903 and there appears no way to change this.

cornerdealy

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 30, 2006
that stinks, here's hoping apple provides an update that allows their own video software to accept their own video files

Blockhead

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
Getting movies from iPhoto via iMovie to Front Row

Hi,

I am a brand new Mac user having been Windows user for many year. Loving the experience. Need help please. Having read the various threads around town and actually done it, the only way I can see I can get a movie from my camera into Front Row is as follows:

1. extract into iPhoto
2. export from iPhoto to a folder (as iMovie cannot extract from the iPhoto library)
3. within iMovie, convert a film strip into a iMovie project
4. export the iMovie project into the movie folder that can be seen by Front Row (this has to be done because, even though Front Row has a "iMovie Project" folder, Front Row isnt actually able ti see iMovie projects.

I could be really off the planet with the above. If I am I would appreciate if some could tell me a quicker way to get movies in my camera to Front Row.
thanks

justaprettygirl

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2009
I goTT iTTT!!

hey yal ov had the same problem then i figured out if u press "Now" on the thing that pos up and says sumthin about adding iphoto thumbnails to imovie the videos will apears inder iphoto videos! hope i helped!!

hamblenjl

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2010
I'm having a similar problem. I was able to produce a movie using files from my sony camera with imovie but now - out of the blue - it won't recognize new files which I've made on my camera. WTF? Very frustrating.

ziggle4432

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2010
Like everyone else, I have been having the same problem, but luckily I JUST FOUND THE SOLUTION! It is as simple as this: after the video is saved to iphoto you turn it into a slide show. The slide show button is usually located at the bottom of the screen. You do not have to change the video by making it a slide show. After you turn it into a slide show it should be under slide shows on the side of iphoto. Click on your video and then at the bottom their should be an export button. Once you click on it a little tab should pop up. I clicked the computer, but I don't think it really matters what you click. But just make sure that before you export it "Automatically send slideshow to itunes" is checked!(I am not positive that you have to but it worked for me." Then you can press export. After it loads open up imovie. There should be a little thing right after imovie opens that says something about imovie thumnails. Click "now" Then drag the clip to you video and WALA!
I hope I helped :eek:

RichWalk

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
Lutz,m Florida
Importing iPhone Video to iMovie 9.0.1 on iMac/Lion

Hi, I've takes some videos with my digital camera. When I connect it to my Mac, iPhoto opens up and imports them, and I have all the videos in their own event.

When I open up iMovie 08 to edit these clips, they do not show up in the event library under iPhoto videos...

what am I doing wrong?

Hello All, http://cdn.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/smile.gif

Just UPLOAD to iMovie. This may not be applicable to all OS's. I'm running Lion on a one year old iMac. My iPhone is running iOS-5.

I attached the iPhone 4.0 to the iMac with iMovie 9 open on the desktop. The "import from camera" button (see 2nd image below) opened to recognize the iPhone camera, its HD movies, and the stills.

iPhoto opened at the same time and I was able to upload all images simultaneously.

I was able to import the videos and stills that I wanted buy checking a checkbox button (see 1st image). When the upload completed, I closed the "import from camera" interface. However, I could not RE-OPEN the "import from camera" button to access the connected iPhone 4.0 (see 2nd image below).

I reversed the process by connecting the iPhone 4.0 first then opened the iMovie App. The "import from camera" button has a drop menu that will allow you to choose from the devices it recognizes (2nd image). So, just remember to have the iMovie App open when you connect your iPhone. The iMovie App will recognize the iPhone automatically.

Good luck, Richard post #001

Attachments

• iMovie Import Interface..png
    iMovie Import Interface..png
    993.7 KB · Views: 215
  • iMovie Import frm Camera Btn.png
    iMovie Import frm Camera Btn.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 4,216
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.