Problem with instalation osx usb stick on powerbook g4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Dawidpolska, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Dawidpolska macrumors newbie

I have problem with my powerbook g4 i spend a 2 days on a instalation osx from usb stick on powerbook g4 with transmac when to put stick on usb cannot install osx this method... i haven't a dvd with osx ;C please help

2. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

Did you use a program like Rufus to put the OS on?

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

You don't give us a lot of details to work on, so I'm going to give you a broad answer.

First of all, I'm going to assume that you are actually using a correct version of OS X. 10.5(Leopard) is the most recent version supported by any Powerbook G4(or any PowerPC Mac). All will support Tiger, and for some Powerbooks this is the only version officially supported.

The next step is to be sure you're actually making the USB installer correctly. I was advised by a knowledgeable member here to use Disk Utility to format the USB disk as Mac OS Extended/APM, mount the .dmg or .iso of the disk image, and then use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the mounted image onto the USB drive. I was able to create a good install stick by doing this.

The next step is booting. If you have a Titanium Powerbook, you can probably hold down "option" while booting(after it chimes) and a blue screen with all bootable volumes will appear. You can select your USB install stick from here. Just be aware that it will be slow.

If you have an Aluminum Powerbook, you will probably need need to boot into Open Firmware by holding down :apple:+option+O+F during startup(before the chime). This will boot to a grey screen with a command prompt.

I was advised on here that, from the open firmware command prompt, you can usually type boot ud:,\\:tbxi and it will boot off the USB. It's worked for me every time I've tried it, at least.

4. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

He said he used Transmac so I suppose he's trying to make the USB bootable stick from Windows.

5. weckart macrumors 68040

If he has not got an install disk then he has downloaded a DMG image from somewhere. Might have either busted the image or downloaded a version earlier than might boot on his PowerBook.

Or is trying something weird like trying to install Mavericks on a PowerBook.

In short, we need more info.