Problem with installing OS X on new hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Betula, May 27, 2008.

1. Betula macrumors newbie

Apologies first - I was given my first mac today, for free, and I don't have much history on it. It's a PowerMac G4 and the woman who gave it to me told me it needed a new hard drive. So I put in a new hard drive a coworker had, erased/formatted it, and am using the restore disc I received with it. One of two things keeps happening: 1. the computer shuts down randomly or 2. I get an installation error.

I've been doing a lot of searching and the only thing I can seem to come up with is maybe something with the RAM. Or maybe I skipped some crucial step before installation?

Any help is appreciated! :eek:

2. G-Com macrumors regular

Insert the CD and restart. Hold down the C key until you get to a screen asking which to boot up -- the hard drive or the disc -- choose the disc.

3. Betula thread starter macrumors newbie

When I hold down the C key, it just takes me to the Select Language screen of the installer - it doesn't ask me which to boot up.

4. Betula thread starter macrumors newbie

After about the twentieth time trying to install, it finally finished! Thanks for the tip!

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

just for future reference holding down C is the shortcut for booting off the disc so it won't give the user the option.

The "option" key is the one that allows the user to select which disc to boot from.

Glad you got it working, have fun with your mac and don't be shy about asking questions.

6. Betula thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I'm looking forward to getting off work and going home and exploring!