Problem with installing tiger off iPod

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mjbrennan@maine, Aug 4, 2007.

1. mjbrennan@maine macrumors newbie

I have a ibook with panther installed and I decided that it would be easier to put the DVD images onto my iPod in order to install it through that method. I looked up how to do it and I used disk utility put the DVD images onto my ipod. However when reading these directions it seems that they are only referring to one DVD while I have four. The installation works until it asks me for the 2nd disc. I don't know where to go from here. Is there a way to put each DVD onto your ipod and have the mac recognize each disc?

thanks for any help-

included are the steps i followed to make the ipod into a virtual DVD:

How to install OS X from a Partition, External Firewire Drive, Second Computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode, or iPod
    USB will not work
    1. Mount your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod as a volume on your desktop and make sure you have at least three gigs of free space available.
    2. Launch /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility
    3. In the left window of Disk Utility, select the volume mounted on your desktop that you want to install from.
    4. Click Restore tab (upper right of window).
    5. Drag the icon (left window) of the volume you want to restore from [Example: Tiger.iso or Tiger.dmg] to the Source field. (.iso & .dmg are both disk image files)
    6. Drag the icon (left window) of your partition, external firewire drive, second computer in FireWire Target Disk Mode or iPod to the Destination field. You have a choice to checkmark "Erase Destination" so that it will erase the volume first, before restoring the installer onto that volume. If you do not wish to erase the volume and you want to keep your existing files on that volume, do not checkmark the "Erase Destination" option. Erasing a volume results in a clean volume. Erase Destination is NOT necessary, just be sure you have at least three gigs of free space available on that volume first or errors will result.
    7. Click the Restore button (bottom right).
    8. Go to Finder and rename your "Destination Volume" to: Mac OS X Install DVD
    9. Go to the Apple in the upper left corner of the menu bar at the top. Scroll down to System Preferences. In the fourth row down select Startup Disk. Select the Mac OS X Install DVD.
    10. Reboot.
    [Thanks to bobster]

This method runs the installer as if you were booting directly from the Mac OS X Install DVD (acts as a virtual DVD installer). If you do not need more than your language, don't install extra languages or printer drivers, etc you can save well over a gig of space on your startup volume.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you have four OSX discs then you're not using the retail version. The version of OSX you're using is licensed with a specific machine and has been designed to only work on that type of machine. Depending on what machine these discs came with, it almost certainly won't work and could be a violation of the EULA anyway. :eek:

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

it is possible that he could have gotten the CD version off of eBay or somewhere.

what do the discs look like, are they grey, or are the regular retail discs?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's possible, but that still doesn't mean they'll work... :)

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think that if they are the CDs then he will need to use the actual discs, the method he is using was only for older macs that did not have a DVD drive and you only had the DVD version.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ahh sorry mate, I see what you're saying. I just remembered Apple released a set of CDs with Tiger on them. Sorry, different wavelength. :D

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I think for the iPod method that the DVD is required. I don' think you can use the DVDs, but then again I have not tried this method before.

8. mjbrennan@maine thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that you are right. They're cd's becuase they only have like 600mb per disc. I think that I will try burning them as cd's and try installing them that way.

thanks, mike

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you mean by burning them as CDs, if they are already CDs? Where did you get these? :eek: