Problem with iPad digitezer/screen after lighting connector replacement

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cconti, Apr 8, 2014.

1. cconti macrumors newbie

My wife's 1 year old plus iPad (3 or 4 I think?) suffered a minor accident (cat knocked it over) and the Lighting adapter broke inside the receptacle.

Since it was impossible to retrieve the piece of connector inside the plug I decided to take the iPad apart following several online tutorials (I am usually pretty handy)

While I was trying to open the iPad I broke the screen , so once I was done I ordered both the Lighting Connector receptacle and a new screen.
    After I received the new parts, I was able to reassemble the iPad without too many issues, once again following instructions in a step by step tutorial and a couple of videos. The finished job Looked great.

However I soon discovered I had a few serious issues:

1) Some areas of the screen do not register touch at all. I poke and poke and no response. This is like a 1" strip on the long side of the screen. Everywhere else, such as the opposite side of the screen, it works fine or it is actually too sensitive.

2) Siri keeps coming on. Even with the ipad asleep sitting under the bed, siri will turn on and off by itself. Quite annoying during the night (I had to turn the iPad completely off).

3) The keyboard works terrible with the keys in the "dead zone" not responding and those in the "live zone" typing 3 or 4 characters per key "press"

I really don't want to open the iPad again until I know what I did wrong and how to do it right next time.

Could I have placed the new screen too close on one side and not enough on the other? What else could have caused this? In all the tutorials I have read before I attempted this repair I took note of all the possible shortcomings, but I did not read anything about a behavior like the one I am experiencing.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

2. cconti thread starter macrumors newbie

ANypne knows of a good forum for techs?

Maybe if no one has any ideas of how the iPad works, someone knows a good forum where I can ask. This one seems more along the lines of software and usability than pure hardware.

maybe I need a place where the techs meet?

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The only suggestion I can make is to do a Google search using your thread topic. I did, and found numerous technical forums. No idea about their quality, but at least it's a start for you.

Good luck on the repairs.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

http://www.ifixit.com is a great source. They have free how to tutorials and I think they may even have how to videos.

5. cconti thread starter macrumors newbie

Forum

Amazingly,m even though I did a lot of searches before posting, it didn't occur to me to use my eventual subject to search. I too have found a wealth of places where I can post.

Thank you for bringing that up Aspasia.

Thank you also Rodster. That place look like it has a vibrant community. They were actually the guys where I first saw the tutorials on how to take apart the iPad. But I didn't think of checking their forum.

6. ipad4fan macrumors newbie

Sounds exactly like the problem I experienced with my old iPad 1. It developed a 1" dead zone area along the long edge an inch or or so above the bottom of the screen. The "X" and "C" keys would not work in portrait mode and the entire bottom row of letter keys in landscape mode were extremely sensitive and erratic with one key press causing numerous repeats. I ended up replacing the digitizer thinking that was the problem and the exact issue remained even with the new one. I also cleaned the digitizer ribbon connector with electrical contact cleaner without success.

I finally just presumed the digitizer circuitry in the iPad was defective and bought a new iPad 4 Retina 16 GB.

7. cconti thread starter macrumors newbie

Digitizer

Thank you very much for the post. It does sound like the problem you had. Sadly.

This is a fairly new iPad, very lightly used too , I would hate to have to buy a new one. Maybe I should give it to someone to fix that will send me a refurbished version?

I don't want to have to redo the work, buy a new digitizer and find out the same problem persist. I think I may lose my mind.

What about the plugs? I heard that plugging in the digitizer and the screen is very delicate and hard to do. I sure had some issues with it.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, Apple does have an out of warranty replacement program. I don't know if they will take an iPad that you tried to fix yourself, and I don't know off hand what they charge, but it's definitely below the cost of buying a new one. Perhaps you should look into that.

9. cconti thread starter macrumors newbie

I had heard of that. And you are right. Who knows if they'll take mine. They can figure out thaat I opened it only if they open it themselves. WHich I guess they'll do eventually, but I am not sure they will do immediately. And if they open it will be only to scavenge parts anyway.

I'll look around. Otherwise, I am willing to pay someone. I figure that a shop with a bunch of ipads that can be cannibalized and, above all, knowledge on how to fix them may be able to fix mine too.

I gave it my best shot, but without an actual explanation of what is wrong with it, it's not worth it to sink more money in parts.

10. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I think you either received a bad front glass or the ribbon cable is not inserted correctly. The front glass contains touch digitizer, if part of the touchscreen does not work, it probably the digitizer is not working correctly,

As for Siri, you might installed the home bottom loss or something like that. It looks like home bottom is being pressed intentionally or it misplaced.

11. cconti, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

cconti thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems like you know what you are talking about. Do you think I should do it all over again? At least order another front glass?

I should add: is there a way to test the screen without gluing it shut first?

I may want to do the job again, but only if I don't have to order a new screen each time I try.

12. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Maybe... It is up to you... How much is the front glass cost? The iPad 3 replacement cost at Apple store is 300 CAD if I remember correctly. I am not sure about iPad 4. If you want just spent the money for a refurbished iPad then go to Apple Store. If you want go through all the trouble, then you can order other one. Keep mind, anything from eBay or compatible part might not work 100% correctly on Apple devices.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have a feeling that with the parts you've already bought, and the fees you will now have to pay someone to fix your iPad, if you do find someone who's able to do it, you might be exceeding Apple's out of warranty replacement fee.

Over the years, we've taken several out of warranty iPods to Apple, and they look at it for free, and then offer us repair or replacement options. We usually end up accepting their offer, because they've always seemed reasonable to us, but YMMV.

In general, even if you are handy, the iPad is so tightly packed and the parts so delicate and mostly glued together, that it just doesn't seem worth it to attempt to fix it, especially when in my view, Apple offers reasonable fees to replace it.

14. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Yes...you can just connect the front glass's ribbon cable to the logic board. It should work, test it before you put he adhesives on.

----------

300 dollars for iPad 3 is not anywhere near reasonable. You can buy a used iPad 3 lower than that price.

15. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

$300 mentioned earlier in this thread was Canadian dollars. I think in US it was more like $250, but I don't have the exact figure.

In any case, someone pointed out in another thread that this fee is the same no matter which model you have. If you have the top of the line, 64GB cellular model, that fee is a steal.