Problem with iPhone 3GS Screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by thecoolone1, Mar 26, 2010.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Today, I bought a iPhone 3GS Black from my friend for JUST $40.00! I already own a white iPhone 3GS but for $40.00 that was a steal even though it has a couple of problems. I figured I could use it as an iPod for my car since I was planning on buying a nano anyways.

One problem is that the speaker does not work at all. And another problem is there is a small nick or some sort on the screen (picture below) but it does NOT appear to be on the glass, it seems to be on the actual screen behind the glass.

This iPhone still has warranty until August but I doubt Apple will replace it because of the screen. I was just gonna take it because of the speaker not working but I figure they'll turn me away due to the screen and overall condition of the phone. Everything works great and there does not seem to have any water damage (I checked both sensors). I just wanted to see if anyone has had this problem with the screen or speaker stop working and successfully got it replaced by apple. If not, then no worries..it was just $40!

[​IMG]

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If the sensors aren't tripped and the screen isn't cracked or anything, definitely try to get it changed. Chances are they'll say yes, and you'll basically have a brand new (well refurb, but in my experience the refurbs are better quality) iphone 3gs.

3. carson44 macrumors member

take it too a apple store, i took my 3GS in today with dust under the screen and they replaced the whole display in about 10 min! now its brand new.(from the front anyway) its definitly worth a try to take it in...worst they can say is no

4. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I agree with everyone else here and say go for it. Try it, there is a really good chance they won't care much about the screen because it's not a big crack like most iPhones have.

5. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

but if you want I will just give you $80 and double your money!

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

I have the same problem, it doesn't bother me that badly, however I'm afraid it will hurt the value of my iPhone when I sell it. It is in the EXACT same spot so something may be bad with this batch of iPhones. What are the first 3 digits of your serial #?

7. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

889 are my first 3 digits.

Also, I just got off the phone with Apple and scheduled a Mail In Repair even though I have an Apple Store within 10 miles. I'm swamped all week with work and there's no way I'll have time to take it in to the Store.

Well he set the repair up for me but I remember when I did a repair with my iPod they shipped me a empty box to send it back to them but he said since I'm within 10 miles from an Apple Store they do it differently. He gave me my closest UPS Store and said to take in my Repair ID and give it to them and they'll ship it for me free of charge, he said Apple has a contract with UPS? Is this true? I honestly never heard of this kind of process, although it sounds better especially since UPS is right across from my work.

8. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

I would of even paid $80 :D. I'm about to hopefully get a nice and shiny iPhone 3GS and more than double my money by selling it on eBay!

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Can you let me know your result? I;m afraid that my Apple store will laugh at this simple issue.

10. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

yes this is true. I just did it a couple of weeks ago. but it would be much easier to drive the 10 miles in my opinion. it will take 4 days to get a phone back.