Problem with iPhone headphone jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colbertnation, Oct 24, 2011.

1. colbertnation macrumors regular

I tried searching for such a thread, but couldn't find it...

Anyway, i'm having trouble with my headphone jack on my 3GS. It was working fine just yesterday, but for some reason, it is now only playing music/sound on the Right headphone only. Anyone have any idea what it can be?

So far, I have tried blowing air into the headphone jack in hopes of removing any dust, and also knocking it slightly on its side. Knocking it multiple times on its side fixes the problem for a while, but then the left headphone slowly starts fading and its right only after a while.

Any thoughts/solutions?

2. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Have you try another set of headphones or those headphones on another device ? How old is your phone ? Might be able to take it to the apple store

3. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, tried several different headphones, and tried those headphones in my MBP, too. The problem also doesn't seem to be software... I restarted my iPhone, and I also checked the Accessibility menu and the L/R audio as well as the Mono audio settings to make sure.

Have a >2 year old 3GS running iOS 5. The problem seems to have originated extremely abruptly; everything was fine just a day or two ago when I last plugged in my headphones.

4. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

I guess time to go fix it at the apple store or upgrade

5. colbertnation thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I was thinking about getting the 4S... time to retire my 3GS. But still, I want to fix it so that I can sell it online...

Hopefully someone knows a fix... Apple store can be damn expensive to repair their own products.

6. jgalan14 macrumors 6502

Yeah it could be expensive but they do a good work, anyways you can sell it like that, make sure you noted to the seller most people won't care about the headphone jack as much , my mom doesn't even use it for music much cause she said she got a car that has a radio and a stereo at home so is pointless for her lol