Problem With IPhone if Verizon Gets

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hbg, Jun 6, 2009.

1. hbg macrumors regular

MacBreak Weekly says a high source at Verizon says they'll announce the iPhone in June.

But... there is one major problem if Verizon does get a CDMA iPhone. Using CDMA it is not possible to surf or email at the same time as talking on the phone at it is currently setup at Verizon. There are a lot of positives is Verizon got it, but this is one negative. The only way for Verizon to make it work would be very expensive, involving taking the voice out on a separate VOIP channel. Sprint customers have the same limitations with the new Palm Pre.

2. getastro macrumors newbie

3. michaelgettys macrumors member

Not true. You can get on the web whilecon the phone with the storm and u can tether while in thecphone with the storm

4. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I hope just because they went Verizon, does not mean they abandon AT&T. It would be dumb to force all of the current AT&T customers to VZW.

5. Mengels7 macrumors regular

I'm not up to snuff on my EVDO details anymore but doesn't Rev A allow data and internet at the same time? I know there is some way they can do it now.

And I could see it happening, but I doubt Verizon is getting the iPhone in June. Or even this year.

6. ynotm macrumors newbie

neither does EDGE.

7. fratboy macrumors regular

yes it does

8. ynotm macrumors newbie

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't.

Turn off 3G (and WiFi) in your settings and try using google maps while talking on the phone. EDGE will not allow voice and data without two radios (Two EDGE or EDGE and WiFi).

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Verizon is not getting the iPhone. Can we please stop this nonsense already?

11. iWork macrumors member

No, EDGE does not support simultaneous voice and data.

As for Verizon and iPhone, I doubt Verizon will acquire iPhone until they move to LTE. It is very unlikely, but remotely possible, Apple will introduce a CDMA/EVDO iPhone this year. The high-level Verizon source Scott Bourne cites is likely lying in an attempt to prevent churn and customer migration to AT&T. Another example of this is Verizon's assertion that it will market Pre in 6 months.

As for Verizon voice and data, Verizon has not yet confirmed whether it plans to transition to VOIP or maintain its CDMA backbone for voice. Verizon has hinted that it will use its CDMA 1xRTT for voice and LTE standards for data. Nothing has been finalized however.

As much as I want a Verizon iPhone, it's not happening anytime soon.

12. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

Well yes... with a GSM iphone AND when Verizon has LTE. It will take them multiple years to roll out LTE.

Second, to the others, yes, it is true that with EDGE you cannot make simultaneous voice and data calls.

As to the Blackberry user who tethers and uses the phone at the same time, it may well be that Verizon takes the voice over VOIP. I know Sprint does not so one cannot, for example, use the Pre by phone and surf at the same time.

To test, though, I'd ask the Blackberry user to talk and surf at the same time. It may be that you have a data connection that goes inactive while you talk. The key would be can you do both simultaneously. If that is the case then Verizon is taking the voice over VOIP. Will you check this for us and and let us know?

13. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

Good- a skeptic. I agree- it could be misinformation for a nefarious reason like you said- that's the problem with rumors. But who knows...? We can at least hope.

14. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Edge does not support voice and web at the same time. Trust me I have tried many time and I kept forgetting I couldent.

The orginal iPhone dispalys a meassage saying "data is unavalible during a call" or something very close along those lines.

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Agreed.

Here's the deal.
    You CAN talk & surf on 3G (GSM or CDMA, doesn't matter)
    You CANNOT talk & surf on EDGE.

...none of that matters though because there is NO WAY the iPhone is coming to Verizon until their network goes 4G.

16. Motionblurrr macrumors 6502

Apple and Verizon would bump heads just because Verizon loves to cripple their devices and have things THEIR way--more so than Apple

It wouldn't end well and we'd get an iPhone made purely out of force than innovation

I think Apple picked a good company to partner with (AT&T)

17. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Doesn't Verizon also have a BB Worldphone that uses EV and have SIM card?

18. hbg thread starter macrumors regular

I hate to say this again, but on CDMA using EVDO it is NOT possible to do simultaneous data and voice unless the carrier takes the voice via VOIP. So it is NOT true to categorically state that one can surf and talk on CDMA 3G. It is only true if the carrier takes the voice by VOIP. Sprint has chosen not to. Therefore, before one accepts it that simultaneous voice and data can occur on CDMA 3G one has to find out if the carrier supports it.

19. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No, Verizon is not going GSM.

Verizon is adding LTE for high-speed broadband devices, as is ATT.

Both Verizon and ATT will likely keep their CDMA and GSM services for voice and/or cheaper phones, for quite some time to come (at least five years, probably much longer).

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe so. We have the 8830 here in NZ which offers both services, and I assume that a similar (or maybe the same) model is offered by Verizon.

The intention over here is that you use it in CDMA mode while in NZ, and GSM is for when you're roaming to a country that doesn't have CDMA. You can't use it in GSM mode while in NZ.