Problem with iPhone: will Apple upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonesrq, Nov 30, 2011.

1. iphonesrq macrumors 6502

I have the iPhone 4. It's been having the proximetry sensor problem since I've had it in 2010. I have apple care, and they just replaced my phone twice in the last week....BOTH new phones still have the problem (mutes calls, ends calls, etc)

This is getting way too annoying, I've dealt with this problem long enough. My friend has the 4S and his has NEVER had a prox sensor problem. Also my 3GS never had this issue.

So, will apple give me the 4S since they can't give me a phone that doesn't have this problem?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They'll keep giving you an iPhone 4 until you buy a different model iPhone.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nope, nor should they
    They will just give you another 4

4. tikitommy macrumors regular

No. Swap outs and replacements never involve upgrades.

Only way you could upgrade is if you just bought the 4 and were still in your 30 day return window.

5. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not thinking for free..I could pay some money towards it since it is an upgrade. But certainly there's a way to do it. Clearly this phone has a big problem with this.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They'd offer you a new 4S for the full unsubsidized price.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

there is a way to do it, go buy an iPhone 4s. They will not swap or let you pay some money to get a 4s.

:apple:

8. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Sure, you can buy one through your carrier at whatever price you're eligible for.

9. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

When it comes to Apple's computers, I've heard of people getting the latest system if they go through 4-5 replacements (component swaps) and their model of computer is no longer available. However, the iPhone 4 is still in production, so even if Apple did something similar with their phones you'd probably still be out of luck.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems - it sounds frustrating.

10. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

So you're telling me there's a chance...

seriously, i don't understand why they won't do it.

11. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Could you upgrade your phone with your carrier? You should get a great price for a brand new iPhone 4.

Sorry, I don't think apple will do what you want.

12. doodads macrumors 6502

doodads

Why don't you ask them to swap it for a 3GS since you had good luck with that model.

13. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

There's a chance, but I definitely would not bet on it. If the iPhone 4 was no longer in production, I'd wager that you would get a 4S after you went through five or so replacements. As things stand, if you go through five replacements they might offer you a refund or some discount, but they're probably not going to bump you up to a 4S for free.

As to why they don't do it? They're not a charity, I suppose. Compared with other companies, they're already going above and beyond - but if they start bumping people up to the latest product for free after a few replacements, it indicates a lack of confidence in their product, and it also gives more people an incentive to find (or make) problems with their devices in the hopes of getting a free upgrade.

14. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm out of contract, so it's $199 with a new 2 yr deal....can't justify doing this since it's a phone issue and I'm not in contract right now.

I still have my old 3GS...I just don't want to downgrade, just bc apple can't give me a phone that works. I'll take a working iP4, clearly apple can't give me one since I've tried numerous times already

15. Bootleg2go macrumors newbie

Your best bet would be to take the new iphone 4 they just gave you and sell it, it would be in mint condition and you would get a good price, then you could take that and apply the funds toward a 4s either on or off contract.

16. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Nope, never had a problem with the proximity sensor on my phone, my wife's phone, or my daughter's phone. :rolleyes:

17. iphonesrq thread starter macrumors 6502

yah right...

18. Edge1978 macrumors 6502

Apple wouldn't upgrade you to a 4S, they will just keep giving you a 4.

19. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Purchase a 4S, 3GS, or another smartphone brand.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

20. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Just because you have the issue doesn't mean everyone else does. Also goodluck trying to get Apple to replace your 4 with a 4S

21. digitard macrumors 6502a

digitard

Actually I haven't either.

I bought my Verizon iPhone 4 day 1 and not once have I had an issue w/ the prox sensor not working right, or the screen activating while using the phone, etc. My wife is using it now, and she's not having any issues either.

22. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

My iPhone 4 doesn't have that issue. Never did. My original and Apple Care replacement one (which I have now in storage).

If you're not happy, sell the phone and buy a new 4S. Not sure why you think Apple should upgrade you free for all the trouble you have had. I have had lots of trouble here and there with my phones. I never expected Apple to give me anything but a working replacement, which I have gotten.

Man up dude. If after 4 replacements, you're still having this "issue", it's not the phone - it's you :)

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Never had a problem with mine and now my wife is using t without issue. It's 18 months old now.