Problem with iPhone: will Apple upgrade my iPhone 4 to the 4S

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
I have the iPhone 4. It's been having the proximetry sensor problem since I've had it in 2010. I have apple care, and they just replaced my phone twice in the last week....BOTH new phones still have the problem (mutes calls, ends calls, etc)

This is getting way too annoying, I've dealt with this problem long enough. My friend has the 4S and his has NEVER had a prox sensor problem. Also my 3GS never had this issue.

So, will apple give me the 4S since they can't give me a phone that doesn't have this problem?

tikitommy

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
I have the iPhone 4. It's been having the proximetry sensor problem since I've had it in 2010. I have apple care, and they just replaced my phone twice in the last week....BOTH new phones still have the problem (mutes calls, ends calls, etc)

This is getting way too annoying, I've dealt with this problem long enough. My friend has the 4S and his has NEVER had a prox sensor problem. Also my 3GS never had this issue.

So, will apple give me the 4S since they can't give me a phone that doesn't have this problem?

No. Swap outs and replacements never involve upgrades.

Only way you could upgrade is if you just bought the 4 and were still in your 30 day return window.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
I'm not thinking for free..I could pay some money towards it since it is an upgrade. But certainly there's a way to do it. Clearly this phone has a big problem with this.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
I'm not thinking for free..I could pay some money towards it since it is an upgrade. But certainly there's a way to do it. Clearly this phone has a big problem with this.
there is a way to do it, go buy an iPhone 4s. They will not swap or let you pay some money to get a 4s.

:apple:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Sure, you can buy one through your carrier at whatever price you're eligible for.

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
When it comes to Apple's computers, I've heard of people getting the latest system if they go through 4-5 replacements (component swaps) and their model of computer is no longer available. However, the iPhone 4 is still in production, so even if Apple did something similar with their phones you'd probably still be out of luck.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems - it sounds frustrating.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
When it comes to Apple's computers, I've heard of people getting the latest system if they go through 4-5 replacements (component swaps) and their model of computer is no longer available. However, the iPhone 4 is still in production, so even if Apple did something similar with their phones you'd probably still be out of luck.

Sorry to hear that you're having problems - it sounds frustrating.
So you're telling me there's a chance...

seriously, i don't understand why they won't do it.

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Could you upgrade your phone with your carrier? You should get a great price for a brand new iPhone 4.

Sorry, I don't think apple will do what you want.

Ledgem

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
So you're telling me there's a chance...

seriously, i don't understand why they won't do it.
There's a chance, but I definitely would not bet on it. If the iPhone 4 was no longer in production, I'd wager that you would get a 4S after you went through five or so replacements. As things stand, if you go through five replacements they might offer you a refund or some discount, but they're probably not going to bump you up to a 4S for free.

As to why they don't do it? They're not a charity, I suppose. Compared with other companies, they're already going above and beyond - but if they start bumping people up to the latest product for free after a few replacements, it indicates a lack of confidence in their product, and it also gives more people an incentive to find (or make) problems with their devices in the hopes of getting a free upgrade.

iphonesrq

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Tampa
Could you upgrade your phone with your carrier? You should get a great price for a brand new iPhone 4.

Sorry, I don't think apple will do what you want.
I'm out of contract, so it's $199 with a new 2 yr deal....can't justify doing this since it's a phone issue and I'm not in contract right now.

Why don't you ask them to swap it for a 3GS since you had good luck with that model.
I still have my old 3GS...I just don't want to downgrade, just bc apple can't give me a phone that works. I'll take a working iP4, clearly apple can't give me one since I've tried numerous times already

Bootleg2go

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2011
I'm out of contract, so it's $199 with a new 2 yr deal....can't justify doing this since it's a phone issue and I'm not in contract right now.

I still have my old 3GS...I just don't want to downgrade, just bc apple can't give me a phone that works. I'll take a working iP4, clearly apple can't give me one since I've tried numerous times already
Your best bet would be to take the new iphone 4 they just gave you and sell it, it would be in mint condition and you would get a good price, then you could take that and apply the funds toward a 4s either on or off contract.

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008

My iPhone 4 doesn't have that issue. Never did. My original and Apple Care replacement one (which I have now in storage).

If you're not happy, sell the phone and buy a new 4S. Not sure why you think Apple should upgrade you free for all the trouble you have had. I have had lots of trouble here and there with my phones. I never expected Apple to give me anything but a working replacement, which I have gotten.

Man up dude. If after 4 replacements, you're still having this "issue", it's not the phone - it's you :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.