Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krinaldi9

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
hi, i am using a ibook g4 which has added ram and is updated with leopard. however i am battling the "start up disk is almost full" problem too. now, i have uploaded pics from my camera to iphoto(which until recently has worked perfectly fine), looked at them, edited them, and now i can see the little version but then i double click the pic as if i was going to edit it and it does not come up. this is not true of all the pics, just random ones... i tryed to put them on a flash drive and transfer them to another mac and see if theyd come up then, but they dont. i dont understand where these files have gone, and why they arent showing up... and ive deleted them off my camera so are the just completely gone?? :(:confused: thanks for your help!!

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
hi, i am using a ibook g4 which has added ram and is updated with leopard. however i am battling the "start up disk is almost full" problem too. now, i have uploaded pics from my camera to iphoto(which until recently has worked perfectly fine), looked at them, edited them, and now i can see the little version but then i double click the pic as if i was going to edit it and it does not come up. this is not true of all the pics, just random ones... i tryed to put them on a flash drive and transfer them to another mac and see if theyd come up then, but they dont. i dont understand where these files have gone, and why they arent showing up... and ive deleted them off my camera so are the just completely gone?? :(:confused: thanks for your help!!

It is extremely rare for photos to totally disappear from the library itself. It IS common that the library can be corrupted, but your files are normally ok.

hold down option+command when you open iphoto. This will bring you to a special mode to rebuild thumbnails, and or rebuild the entire library. Try some of these options to recover your 'lost' photos. Your version is older so it may be missing some options, but in iPhoto 7, it has an option to 'find' missing photos as well. If you can, be sure to backup before trying any of this stuff, as it rewrites the library files.

As a side thing, NEVER EVER manipulate the files within your iPhoto Library - do it from the iPhoto interface. Messing about with photos in the library can really screw with iPhoto.

Another thing - do you 'reference' your images, or get iPhoto to manage them in your own locations? If the latter, you may have deleted them without iPhoto knowing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.