Problem with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Jun 18, 2009.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have just got a new iMac and I don't know what I've done, I was fiddling around dragging things from my backup and now iPhoto gives me the message the Iphoto Library is locked, on a locked disk or you do not have permission to make changes to it. iPhoto can try to repair the permission. However, that doesn't work. How do I reinstall iPhoto?

2. TinHead88 macrumors regular

TinHead88

The data folder of iPhoto (iPhoto Library) is quite complex and should not be messed with unless you really know what you are doing. The correct way to organise your photos is from within the iPhoto app itself.
    As far as the permissions problem is concerned, you might try selecting the iPhoto Library... get info... unlock (click on padlock at the bottom right)... choose read & write as privilege for your user name... select apply to all folders within.
    But if you have just started with iPhoto and have backups then I would start fresh by deleting the iPhoto Library, import your photos using iPhoto app (never drag stuff into the iPhoto Library) and then leave the iPhoto Library untouched.