Problem with iPod and MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

So I have had my MacBook Pro for about a month and a half and decided it would be time to sync my iPod Nano with it, but the problem is, that the iPod won't show up in iTunes, only on my desktop.
    Any ideas what to do for it to show up in iTunes?

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

so it shows up on your desktop but not in iTunes. try disabling auto sync and plug it back in.

3. NickM macrumors 6502

I've had a weird problem with my UMBP and iPhone lately.
    When I try to add songs to it, it will be syncing, and never stop... I end up having to force quit iTunes.
    I haven't tried syncing my iPod yet, but I imagine the same thing will happen.

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like i said i find auto sync can really mess iTunes up. i just use mine manually.

5. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK so how exactly do I do that? I thought that that only works in iTunes?

6. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

it is in iTunes. have you already checked the box to turn off auto synching?

7. NickM macrumors 6502

Yes, I was adding the mp3s manually.
    I only keep my iPod synced to my desktop's iTunes library, and that's worked like a charm without ever giving me problems.

However, I add to my iPhone manually with my MacBook Pro, and THAT is the one that would sit there "syncing iPhone" without ever stopping.

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i would try totally clearing everything on your iPhone and then putting it all back on at once. or re-installing iTunes. this worked for me when i had a similar problem with burning cd's. it would just sit there finalizing the cd and never actually finnish. so i re-installed iTunes and it worked.

9. NickM macrumors 6502

Cool... I will try that.
    Now a noob question (that I think I already know the answer to)...
    In order to uninstall iTunes (or any other program) from OS X, I simply delete it from the Applications folder, right?
    Or if I try running the installer again, simply overwrite what's in the Applications folder?
    What if I don't want to re-add all my mp3s? (I have a lot)
    Can I keep them all where they are (iTunes music folder), somehow reinstall iTunes without deleting mp3s, then just readd them to the iTunes library?

Thanks for the info.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes, in order to un-install it just delete it from the apps menu. then dl it again from apple. i believe that you should re-add them all again. i know its a bitch but it will just insure that everything goes smoothly.

11. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Sorry, but did you read my post at all? The issue here is that my iPod won't show up in iTunes.

12. NickM macrumors 6502

Is it a new iPod?
    Did it ever show up in iTunes?

Maybe try this...
    BEFORE opening iTunes, hook up the iPod to your computer and let it install the necessary drivers (if you're using Windows), make sure it shows up as being connected to the computer...
    Maybe give it a reboot just for good measure...
    Then open iTunes...
    Then plug in the iPod.

Does it show up now?

To stop the iPod from using autosync, you first need it to show up in iTunes.
    If you still can't get it to show up, try uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes.

13. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yes i did and obviously something is wrong with the program so you have to do something within the program to fix it. like i said to Nick try re-installing it. something in the program has to be changed cause its not working.

14. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Wow this is weird. I just tried plugging it in 10 mins ago and all of a sudden it worked! I have no idea what I did though :confused: but luckily it's working now :p

15. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

great im glad its working.