problem with ipod touch 2.2 jailbreak...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by terribleone86, Dec 16, 2008.

1. terribleone86 macrumors newbie

I did the jailbreak and everything, it all worked out perfect. then i went to the installer and there is a very slim choice of apps that are coming up, i was just wondering why is it that there is so little in this but when i jailbroke(*is that right?) my iphone when it was 1.1.4 there was like a million apps. so if anyone can shed some light and help me figure out whats going on, please help. im just tryin to get a good solitare and i cant find it in either installer or cydia. thanks in advance for any help...

2. svndmvn Guest

If you really can't find any in cydia it either depends on the repositories or something or it's just because most of the devs making apps for installer and cydia started putting their stuff in the app store, existing since 2.0, I'm pretty sure you can find a few solitaire games in the app store,actually.

3. JClarkKent2003 macrumors newbie

are you sure you have an ipod TOUCH 2.2 ?

I've been told and read that ipod TOUCH 2.2 can't be jailbroken succesfully yet. I've heard iPHONE 2.2 has been jailbroken but with some big problems and issues happening.

Just curious, because I just got a 32gb ipod touch 2.2 for xmas, I want to jailbreak is SO badly, but I don't want to risk $400 + tax and it breaks it and doesn't work, as I've heard from a few people.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

2.2 is the firmware (operating system), which runs on all Touch/iPhone devices currently in use. Whether or not your device can be jailbroken depens on the hardware you have, not the firmware.

2nd generation ipod touch (the ones with volume control buttons on the side) cannot be jailbroken.

1st generation touch (no volume buttons) can be.

5. JClarkKent2003 macrumors newbie

I just read and learned the difference between 1st and second gen, thanks!

lol...

this ipod came from an APPLE employee (who gets 25 employee discount + 15% off returns) and sold it to me cheap.

It's 32 GB, the software firmware SAYS 2.2 - 5G77. He told me this is the NEW one, the NEWEST one 2nd gen.

BUT, from what you just said, you put doubt in my mind.

There are NO volume control buttons on this one. I have a 16gb (1.1.4 not jailbroken) and now this new 32gb 2.2.

So your saying that since my 32gb doens't have the volume controls on the side, it's not 2nd gen and I CAN jailbreak it succesfully?

Thanks, I'm getting excited now. Downloaded quickpwn 2.2 but didn't have the guts to use it. Is there any risk I if it doens't work, can I (myself) factory reset easily? (dumb question, but I've never tried jailbreaking an ipod touch, I was a little afraid if you unsuccesfully tried then you screwed itup and only could get it fixed by taking it into apple/ipod store and paying some kind of restore fee).. If it's just a simple click to restore and all I lose is my songs, It's worth trying, lol...hahaha.....

thanks, looking forward to your reply! model number on the back is "A1213" & model number on the "settings > about" screen is "MD376LL"

merry xmas!

6. JClarkKent2003 macrumors newbie

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's great, but how this apple employee you got it from thought it was a 2nd gen is beyond me. *shakes head*

Anyway, here are some links that might help with your questions.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Jailbreak_the_iPod_Touch
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Restore_the_iPod_Touch

In my experience, getting the Touch into DFU mode can be a little tricky to get the timing right, but restoring it is very easy, just takes a few clicks of the mouse.

Oh, and you don't have the newest MacBooks do you? From what I've read, getting them to recognize a Touch/iPHone in DFU mode is extremely tricky. But if you have a PC or an older Mac, you should be good to go.

8. JClarkKent2003 macrumors newbie

nope, working on vista, EEEKKKSSSSS~!~!! lol.... I know I know, give me grief. but it works. sorta, lol..... will get a new mac air book next year ;)

Just jailbroke my phone, all systems go, cydia and installer show up, my music is still there, now time to load all these wondeful free .ipa appz and games I got!!! hehehe.... it sure is xmas for me!!!

Spurs just won at the buzzer!!! lol.... wow that's a good game! time for lakers vs celtics, oh yeah..... lol...