Problem with ISO mounting

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by unfrozen, Jan 29, 2012.

1. unfrozen macrumors newbie

Hello guys.

I'm new here and not English, so I apologize in advance for any grammar mistake.

I have a problem with mounting an .iso file in my MacBook Pro 13', that runs Snow Leopard v10.6.8.

The .iso file is trustworthy and, for sure, not corrupted - I checked that with several other mac users. It is contained inside a .dmg file. Problem is, when I double click the .iso file inside the .dmg file, I get a warning window pop-up, that tells me:

Not possible to open following image:

imagename.iso ; Motive - Impossible to mount file systems.

I tried opening it with disk utility and mounting it from there and I get the following error:

Impossible to mount "imagename.iso" (possibly bad translation, original portuguese is "Impossível Anexar imagem : "imagename.iso") - Impossible to mount system files.

I then tried using toast titanium v10, but I get a similar error, that says the image can't be opened.

Then, I proceded to burning the image to a DVD, then inserting it in my MBP. The DVD does a little bit of noise and then I get a pop-up: The inserted disk is not readable in this computer.

Desperate, I went to the source of the file and got a new one, to make sure it wasn't corrupted. Then, I repeated everything, and everything failed again. I'm out of ideas. What can I do?

Thank you all in advance.
    unfrozen

2. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

Are you sure the .iso isn't corrupt? Are you sure that whatever is on the .iso image is in a format that the Mac can understand? What is on the .iso image, is it a DVD image?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Typically, when you get a disk image inside another disk image, you have been fooled into downloading something useless.

4. unfrozen thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. I am, however, sure it isn't corrupt, that I haven't been fooled and that Mac can understand it, simply because I have friends with the same laptop than me and they seem to be able to mount it.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
    unfrozen

5. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

6. unfrozen thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't see the relevance, but if you must know, it's an installation image from a software created by a fellow programmer for Mac. However, I say it again, it works fine on my friends' computers and I've re-downloaded it twice. The problem is in my computer, not in the iso.

7. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

The relevance is that we didn't know if the .iso image contained an image using a file system that isn't native to OS X; for all we knew, your friend had installed some software at some point that let his Mac read that type of volume.

Are your friends also running OS X 10.6.8?

I don't know what else to suggest, other than getting one of your friends to extract the files off of the .iso for you. If you can't read the .iso then either it is corrupt or in a format that OS X doesn't understand.

8. unfrozen thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, also running the same version as I am. I'm gonna check that question about the software he has that I don't, but I believe this to be very odd, as one of my friends has almost no extra software installed but seems to be able to run this without any kind of problem. I guess somewhere along the way I installed something on my computer that makes it impossible for me to read the .iso; the worst part is, whatever it is, it seems to have messed up my DVD drive to. I am now only able to watch video DVD's using VLC Media Player, because my DVD Drive tells me the disk isn't readable on this computer.