Problem with iTunes accounts and gift cards

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Stephens, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Bob Stephens macrumors newbie

Hello! Hope all is going well for everyone. We're new to the formum although we've been using MAC computers for a number of years. We just bought a new iPad for my wife Louise and her main use for it will be downloading and storing books from the ibooks store. We've registered the iPad, did our first sync with the computer, setup and iTunes account and also downloaded the iBooks program and set this up on her iPad. The iPad is set for Wifi use and this works fine.

The book download function works well when she uses her iPad to obtain either a free or purchased book. When she buys and downloads any book of choice, the program automatically debits the credit card that we used to setup the iTunes account.

Here's the problem we're running into: I bought a $50.00 iBooks gift card that we want to redeem and use for online book purchases. I was able to redeem the card through iTunes and the dollar amount shows on the iTunes screen ($50.00). I also went into my iTunes account and edited the payment information to drop the credit card. With the account now showing "no credit card" we thought any book purchases through iBooks would now be debited to the gift card.

This isn't happening when we buy a book; the iTunes display shows the $50.00 amount unchanged. Is there something in the setup that I'm not doing properly in order to make the gift card what iTunes bills for the purchases?

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. We live in Canada where the gift card setup has just become active.

Best Regards.

Bob and Louise.

2. andrewappleinc macrumors newbie

Go into the iBooks, iTunes, or App Store and scroll down the the bottom of the page and click your email address at the bottom and a Box should appear on screen that says "Log Out, View Account Info" Click Log out and Restart the iPad By Holding the Sleep/Wake Button on the Top and the Home button for 15 Seconds. The Screen should go black and an Apple Symbol will appear. Wait for the device to reboot and then go back into the iBooks, iTunes, or App Store and scroll down. Where you email address used to be there is a button that says "Sign In." Log back into your account and then your credit should become active on the device. Let me know if this works.

--
    Andrew
    MacBook Pro:apple:
    iPad:apple:
    iPhone 4:apple:
    iPod Touch 4th Gen.:apple: