Problem with itunes "Consolidate Library" Feature

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jlumber50, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jlumber50 macrumors newbie

I've been having some problems using the consolidate library feature in itunes and Im hoping someone can help me out here. So I've got a macbook with all my content (mp3s, movies, photos) in itunes but stored on an external hard drive. I'm running out of space on my external hard drive so I went and got a new 500gb hard drive that has network capabilities. I'm trying to move my media content from the old hard drive to the new one. I've got a lot to move over 150gbs. I've been trying to use the "consolidate library" feature but when it's transferring and their is any kind of disruption. Sometimes my old hard drive loses its connection with the mac, all the progress is lost. I have to start the whole transfer over again because itunes can't tell whats already been copied. For example, after restarting to process im left with multiple copies "Dr. Strangelove" and "Dr. Strangelove 1". Is there any way to avoid this?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

If you only have one library, why don't you just drag the iTunes Music folder over to the new drive, then point your iTunes to that drive?

It appears that you have already done this once due to the fact that you are already using an external drive to store your content. Please explain more.

3. jlumber50 thread starter macrumors newbie

well...i do have one library but i have files in my macbook's itunes/music folder also so not all my files are in one place. Can I really just drag and drop the itunes music folder to my new hard drive and then change the directory in "advanced preferences"?

4. seeker777 macrumors member

seeker777

Yes, you can. I have done this twice.

Once on my MacBook Pro - moving my music folder to a shared drive so that multiple user accounts on the machine could access it. And another time on my crappy Windoze Dell at work when I had to move that library from a network drive to my internal hard drive.

Hey, like always, be sure to back up before tempting Murphy's Law.