problem with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by paulold, May 15, 2012.

1. paulold macrumors 6502

I create music on my MacBook Pro using software like Logic Pro and Garageband. When I want to share the music or put it on my iPhone, I create an mp3 copy of what I recorded and add it to my iTunes. So I have a bunch of tracks in my iTunes and these were all created with Apple applications on a Mac.

I decided to change the naming scheme I use for my personal tracks, which meant I had to go through each of my tracks and rename them, using the Get Info command in iTunes. (I have the latest MacBook Pro, the latest OSX Lion, latest iTunes, etc.)

For the most part, this worked fine. I went through the long list of tracks and changed them all. I thought I was done, till I noticed I missed a few tracks at the top. So I fixed those. And then I decided to sync my iPhone so the track names would be updated there. But when I checked my iPhone after the sync, I saw some of the track names had the old scheme.

Somehow, the old names had returned for some of the tracks in my iTunes. I hadn't missed the tracks - they somehow changed themselves back to their original name. And when I try to fix their track names now, I can sit there and watch it pop back to the old name on its own. Very odd.

I also have what I think is a related problem with these tracks. I have a jpg that I like to use as the album artwork for all of my personal tracks and it appears on just about every track except for the few that still have the old track name. And instead of the album art being blank with iTunes saying "add artwork here", the artwork is a solid black square. No matter how many times I try to change the name or change the artwork, these tracks revert back to having the old name with the black artwork.

I've tried restarting everything. I tried repairing permissions of my hard drive (which is not even half full of files). I'm really not sure what to do. What could be different about these tracks that is causing these errors? They are just mp3 files just like the rest, stored in the same folder.

The blacked out album artwork issue is recent. Yesterday was the first time I noticed the tracks renaming themselves but who knows, maybe I've had the problem and just didn't notice it till now.

Any ideas?

2. paulold thread starter macrumors 6502

Just FYI - I have some of the same tracks on my work PC which is a Windows 7 machine. I just tried updating their track names and artwork. The track names appear to be fine, but now a number of the tracks have blacked out album artwork. I don't get it. Does iTunes have a bug?