Problem with keyboard!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by b738, Nov 21, 2015.

1. b738 macrumors member

Hi everyone! I have a 13" air os x 10.9.5 and lastly I'm having an issue with my keyboard, it's really strange and I don't know if someone has ever had something like this.

When I open it and start using it: the Delete key, the volume up/down, the "a", the "1" and the contrast down keys do not respond for a while.
    After maybe a few minutes they start working perfectly but it's so strange. Sometimes in a minute, sometimes in 5.... even rebooting doesn't fix it.

I haven't upgraded the os because this one works perfectly for me and I never had a single issue with this mac til now.

I never got any liquid spilled over the keyboard so I really don't understand what could be!

2. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Sounds like some contacts only work after the machine actually has warmed up. However that line of reasoning doesn't bring you any closer to a solution :) How old is this MBA? Getting the keyboard replaced may be expensive because it's a major operation:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Air+13-Inch+Mid+2013+Upper+Case+Replacement/15404

Getting just the replacement part alone is US$ 299:
    https://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Part...Mid-2013-Upper-Case-with-Keyboard/IF188-098-3

Or perhaps you have AppleCare?

3. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

To absolutely rule out any software problems, you could try and attach an external USB keyboard, see if it works fine there.

4. b738 thread starter macrumors member

Hi thanks for answering. I think it's a warm-up thing too. Ill try the keyboard, but i don't think this is a software problem. I guess whenever that happens, I should run something that heat's it up fast hehe

5. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Sounds like the bottom case / keyboard need to be replaced. I had that part replaced three times. Same as you no liquid spill but the a,1 and the delete key failed