Problem With LAN In Games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rocket Mole, May 27, 2014.

1. Rocket Mole macrumors newbie

1st of all not sure if this is in the right spot coz 1st post

Okay so when i start games on my Macbook Pro, I play in my school and i play on school supply laptops, sometimes on school server sometimes on the built in create a network feature. Anyway the point is when i'm playing games that normally will work with lan EG call of duty 4, counter strike, ETC. IT DOES NOT SCAN PROPERLY. however there is a way around it by finding your ip and letting the other person connect through console with the ip but i'm lazy :cool: (deal with it) so wanna know if i can get these features working here are my specs [​IMG] if image doesn't work then link http://imgur.com/kbMIvx7

2. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Well given we have no idea how your school network is configured. Ask your teacher ;)

3. Rocket Mole thread starter macrumors newbie

The school network isn't what we use half the time. We mostly use the create network feature built into the wifi tab in the menu bar. Also when someone else is on our created network with an older model they can join without knowing the ip. Like their lan scan works and ours doesn't

Edit: school network too slow

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

If you are the one creating the network and the one hosting the game surely your ip stays the same....:confused:

Beyond that I have no idea, you might be better posting this on a gaming site.

5. Rocket Mole thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea but then when someone else wants to join i need to tab out to give them the IP and i'm lazy whereas the older school models supported the lan search plus when you restart your computer DHCP kicks in and changes your IP

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Can't see why the ip would change, if you are creating the network then your machine is controlling DHCP for everyone so it should take the first ip in the range for itself so should be the same each time. Your ip address should only change if the DHCP server function is on another machine.

You may just need to get over your own self-proclaimed laziness :)

7. Rocket Mole thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to set your Create a Network IP to remain the same so its easier to remember because it still resets itself every 3-5 days and theres about 200 people who have the game in the school so it would be easier to get it working so i can join others easier... and troll them without them knowing

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Try here: http://www.cnet.com/au/news/how-to-set-up-and-use-network-locations-in-os-x/

9. Rocket Mole thread starter macrumors newbie

10. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

11. Rocket Mole thread starter macrumors newbie

I know but you can only view the full computer names of about 3 computers