Problem with Late 08 MBP after upgrading to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bobacus, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Bobacus macrumors newbie

So I backed all my data up and did a clean install Friday night after purchasing Snow Leopard, everything was great up until Saturday evening after I got most of my applications and data restored by hand from my backup (didn't want any clutter from my old machine coming from my time machine backup).

So now when I go to boot up my machine, it takes 1 or 2 minutes for it to boot up (up from the 30 seconds it was taking on Friday night), and when I copy data to my usb hdd attached to my airport extreme, watching to disk utilization, the data transfer isn't consistent, and constantly going between 15 MBs and 200 KBs, same story for Time Machine backups. I've ran a fsck from single user mode, and done a disk repair and permissions repair from disk utility. The fsck and disk repair reported no problems, although the permissions repair fixed several issues in the internet plugins folder, and had one issue in the system folder in couldn't fix.

Does anyone have any thoughts, I'm kinda thinking it may be a bad hdd, but I'm not sure, I'll probably do another backup and reinstall tonight to see if something in the OS got messed up or if it's a faulty drive.

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have the same MBP (is it Unibody?) and everything seems to running fine... other then the startup times. I have no idea, but for some reason the startup (not the shutdown, I'm not sure if it can get any faster) but the boot process seems to take forever... I miss the first couple days after I booted my Mac... 15 second startups, instant shutdowns. Anyways, I'm sure that Apple will release one of those important system updates that require a restart and all out problems will be corrected. But Apple has always taken their time with these new software updates.

3. Bobacus thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just had a thought, I had tried playing with Sheepshaver yesterday, just for the fun of it, and it seems to be after messing with that is when it began to slow down. I wouldn't be surprised if some files were left behind from when I removed it, and that being what the slow start up issue is. I've looked in the console and haven't seen anything too terribly out of the norm, just some stuff about growl.