Problem with LEGITIMATE Windows 7 Install Disc

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by revenantprime, Oct 30, 2011.

1. revenantprime macrumors newbie

I've seen lots of threads about this but I have a simple question.

Basically I get a copy of Windows 7 with a volume license as a perk of being a Duke student. Bootcamp doesn't like the install disc, sure you've heard that before.

My question is, if I just add an NTFS partition with the Disk Utility and then Install Windows 7 on this by booting off the CD, will I run into any problems? Will Bootcamp not allow me to dual boot? Will I screw something up? Also will it be possible to have Parallels use this Windows install? (When you're installing Windows 7 that takes ~30GB of space, you don't want to install it twice ><)

Thanks for the help - sorry this is the first Mac I've ever owned, though I've done lots of repairs/reformats/etc on windows machines for the past 9 years.

-T

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

You definitely want to fight your way thru a real bootcamp install. You will then need to install the bootcamp drivers into that new win 7 install.

You really want a win 7 partition with 50 gb or so of space ( or more ) to have a long term useable system. ( Mine is partitioned at 80 gb ). If you set it up with only 30 gb you are just asking for trouble.

3. revenantprime thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I currently have Windows 7 Partitioned at 80GB under parallels (the 30GB figure was the bare minimum I was giving in case I had to install it twice, once in Bootcamp once in Parallels).

Anyway how can I "fight" my way through a bootcamp install? It says it doesn't recognize the windows DVD when I insert it...no way to install from that. I got the bootcamp drivers disc it told me to burn, I can load those onto the Windows 7 install manually, I'm just wondering if installing it through Bootcamp enables some special boot loader or something on the mac without which I wouldn't be able to get into my Windows install...

Games run like crap under parallels! lol.

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

There's gotta be somewhere out in the real universe you can get or borrow a viable windows 7 install disk. Especially at a place such as Duke. Stop by one of the computer labs? Since you have a real key somewhere right?

Some ftp site maybe? Dunno ...

5. revenantprime thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have a real key, and thus any version of Windows 7 that requires a key won't work. Duke has a server on their network that the computer connects to every few months to activate itself. If you go off the network for 3 months it deactivates, though it doesn't seem to do anything more than making it more of a pain to connect a projector in this state.

6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

7. titantaiboo macrumors newbie

hi

are you trying to use mac os side by side win 7

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

If the install DVD has a key that has to be reactivated every three months then you do not have a genuine full version license: you have some form of an OEM instead which is illegal according to MSN license.

9. revenantprime thread starter macrumors newbie

No, it's not illegal - it is legal to use it on the Duke network via their network authentication. If you want to use it after graduation/off campus you have to pay $15 and get a personal key, which it seems like I'm going to have to do.

Seeing as the wife of Bill Gates is an alum of our school and frequently donates money to our campus, I strongly doubt that they would be distributing illegitimate copies of windows.

10. revenantprime thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Yes he does. It's more than just likely that he's using a select or volume license key and Duke has a KMS server on their network. The 3 month validation fits right in with that as a KMS authenticated install requires that the client check back in for a re-validated key. Default is 180 days but it can be shortened.

12. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I looked back through the thread and I don't see any indication of which Mac you're trying to install boot camp on. If you have a 2011 MBA you don't need a disc, you can do it all via USB flash drive. You don't burn the ISO to a disc, you just store it on a flash drive and boot camp takes care of everything from that point on.