Problem with LG DVD writer in Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jdschwa, Nov 9, 2008.

1. jdschwa macrumors newbie

Hello,

Recently replaced the combo drive in my eMac to an LG GH22NP20 DVD writer (FW 1.01, most recent I believe). The drive works fine for reading, but burning with Finder always says not enough space (Disk Utility says Capacity is 0 bytes on a blank disc, tried DVD+R and CD-R). System Profiler says "Burn support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)", but Disk Utility says: "Burn support: Unsupported". :confused: Thanks in advance

System: eMac (ATI) G4 1.33GHz, 1GB RAM, 10.5.5

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Leopard is supposed to be drive agnostic, so it should work. I don't usually burn DVDs from the Finder (I use Toast), but if I recall, you need to create a burn folder or some such? Perhaps installation of the new drive cancelled out your old preset for handling DVDs on insertion?

3. jdschwa thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried burning a .dmg to disk, using a Burn Folder, and looking at Info in Disk Utility. The fact that it says the Disk Capacity is 0 Bytes on blank media suggests to me that it's some sort of system problem, whether driver or settings. I don't have Toast, but I may have to buy it if it's my only option. I installed the drive before doing a clean install of Leopard, so there won't be any old settings anywhere...

4. mac0815 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with the LG GH22NP20 !!! :confused:

The Update of the Firmware didn´t solve the Problem !

"System Profiler says "Burn support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)", but Disk Utility says: "Burn support: Unsupported". :(

Any Ideas ? Please help me :(

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Actually bought the same drive today for my Mac Pro. Anyone have any ideas why this isn't supported for Burning in OS X? Seems silly in this day and age...

6. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Attached Files:

• pro.jpg
      pro.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  7. GGGUUUYYY macrumors regular

I bought it for my g4 and it wouldn't burn dvd but would burn cd's

you need to get another drive

8. watsound macrumors newbie

LG sucks

Get a Pioneer, same problem with the LG. put a Pioneer in, and working within seconds.

Thanks for the info