Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
I just set up my new MBP yesterday. I also purchased a .mac account. I can receive mail sent to my .mac mail account, but whenever I try to send outgoing messages I continue to get a time-out error message that the SMPT at mac.com timed out on Port 25.

Any suggestions how to remedy this situation? I am new to Mac OS X so I am slow at this.....bear with me.

Thanks!
scorp

scorpus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2007
Corpus Christi, Texas
I just figured out my problem. Thought I'd post my solution in case others experience similar problem.

My particular ISP (ATT-Yahoo DSL) was evidently blocking Port 25 which is what smtp.mac.com defaults to when your mail is automatically set up if you're a .mac member. Anyhow, a support doc I found on Apple's website instructed me to use the alternative "Port 587" in case your ISP is blocking port 25. It worked for me and now I can send messages perfectly.

Insturctions are located here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305867

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.