Problem with Mac/Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by xLessax, Apr 3, 2012.

1. xLessax macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Yesterday I installed Windows XP on my iMac using boot camp. When I tried to run the Windows support software I downloaded via boot camp at the start of the process it told me that it required Windows 7.

I detest Windows 7, and I don't want it XD I'm very happy with my Windows XP. It runs like a dream, but I can't use the drivers/wireless etc without running that support software apparently :<

Is there a why to get my hands on support software that can still run with XP? Or another way to get those drivers installed so I can use my Mac functionalities?

I'm running om Mac OS X 10.6.8. Thanks!

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Apple have dropped support for Windows XP and Vista with the latest Boot Camp drivers. I believe you should be able to find the correct Boot Camp drivers version you need from Apple's download page. I know that they have version 2.x on there.

Out of curiosity, what do you detest about Windows 7?

3. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

Thans for the help!

I'm mostly a dumbass who doesn't like change xD And Windows 7 isn't XP, but the interface of Windows 7 also just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I think I located the version of Boot Camp with the right drivers on the Apple website. But does this require me to reinstall Windows XP as well?

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you must run Windows, I agree with the OP, XP is by far and away the best version of the MS offerings.

5. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

You shouldn't need to. If you have some flavour of the Boot Camp drivers already installed, you should be able to remove the from the Add or Remove Programs control panel. Otherwise, you should be able to just install them right now.

----------

Fair enough. I guess I'm the same towards Apple's Snow Leopard. I see no reason for myself to upgrade from it, and it may be a long time before I do.

6. xLessax, Apr 4, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

7. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I'm doing something wrong but I have no idea what. I got my hands on the 2.2 drivers for Boot Camp but when I try to run them in Windows XP it says it can't complete the install because they don't match the version of Boot Camp I'm running. That's true because appearently I am running Boot Camp version 3.0.4

Windows XP is still running like a dream but I have no idea what I have to do exactly to get those drivers working.

Can anyone proved me with a step by step dummy guide to this? : (

8. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Apparently you need to have Boot Camp drivers 2.1 installed before you can update to version 2.2.

When you say you believe that the problem has something to do with Boot Camp 3.0.4, are you referring to the drivers install on Windows or the Boot Camp Assistant on OS X?

9. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense, but how do I install the Boot Camp drivers 2.1? XD I did download a file which I think are them (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL830) but when I try to run them nothing happens D:

I'm referring to the drivers install on Windows. I haven't used the Boot Camp Assistant on OS X since creating the partition a few days ago. I'm just trying to get the drivers installed on the Windows partition.

10. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

It looks like that URL is correct for the correct drivers. Try downloading the file again, it may have become corrupt during the download the first time round.

Also, check in your Add or Remove Programs control panel. Is there anything Boot Camp related in the list of programs that may be interfering with you trying to install the 2.1 drivers.

11. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

It's well weird.. It looks like it won't run because it's trying to open it with Winrar.. But Winrar isn't even installed :(

Add/remove software shows no other drivers installed

12. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

It does have it's own self-extractor when you run the installer, so that's normal. I just find it odd that it would actually install for you. Perhaps try doing a clean install of Windows XP and trying again?

13. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

Just finished doing a fresh reinstall and tried to run the drivers immediatly afterwards. Same problem.

Double clicking on the .exe does nothing. Nothing starts to run after the double click. When use 'Run as' it does something but it opens in Winrar and tells me it can't use the file.

Seems like the stupid Mac people are going to force me to switch to Windows 7 ; (

14. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Let me quickly fire up and a Windows XP virtual machine and see what happens when I run the exe file.

15. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

16. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

I do apologise for the delay. I tried downloading the 2.1 drivers but I believe my ISP has throttled my connection speed because it was saying it would take hours to download the 250MB file. I don't think they like me watching some much Netflix.

17. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha XD No problem! I'm just curious to find out whether this problem is general or if somehow my iMac is the only one that seems to botch this up

18. xLessax thread starter macrumors newbie

19. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Unfortunately, I'm back home for a few days for Easter, so I don't have access to PC that has the Windows XP virtual machine on it. However, I did download the Boot Camp 2.1 drivers onto my MacBook Pro running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview. Every time I double click to run it, nothing happens. I had Task Manager open to see what was going on and the process just appears and terminates whenever I run the installer. I have no clue why it's doing that.