Problem with Macbook battery

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by crediblekr, May 11, 2009.

1. crediblekr macrumors newbie

I was on vacation for about 2 weeks. I left my macbook at home with battery. I tried to turn on the macbook yesterday and it wouldn't power on. So, I plugged AC adapter and it powered on fine. I tried to fix the problem by resetting SMC, but nothing.

Today I took it to apple store near my house and tech guy told me it is possible that the battery is faulty, because macbook would not recognize at all. In system information indicate that battery is not installed, even though it is. He advised me to call apple and they should give me a new battery.

Then apple tech guy told me battery is just dead and said I have to purchase new one because it is not covered by warranty.

I am very confused, because my battery was in good condition (less than 100 cycle). Also, from my understanding, even if the battery is dead, macbook should recognize battery as installed.

Is there any other option for me other than buying a new battery? Based on my knowledge and tech guy from apple store who physically examined the battery, I believe the battery is faulty. I wouldn't mind paying for new battery if it was wear out, but I don't think it's the case here. Any suggestions?

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

3. crediblekr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, as I mentioned in my original post, I tried to reset the SMC. It did not fix the problem.

4. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Could also be a problem with the logic board. If I was you I'd take it back to apple and demand they take it in. I can't believe they won't replace the battery for you!

5. crediblekr thread starter macrumors newbie

The guy from apple phone line told me he can set up the technician to take a look at it, but it will cost me about $50. :(

Since new battery cost about $100, I would rather buy new one than take it to technician.

6. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

But since they haven't firmly established that the issue's really the battery, and your computer is under warranty, you have the right to take it in and have them look at it. Have them test it out with another battery to fix if the problem even IS the battery. What if you buy it and you discover that's not what's been causing the problems after all? If it's a component acting up, which it may well be, warranty covers it.
    If I were you I'd take it in again and demand they look at it before I'd consider buying a new battery! I think apple's making you pay for something you really shouldn't be paying for without confirmation, at the very least.