Problem with Macbook pro 13 inch (won't turn on)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sivath911, Mar 3, 2012.

1. sivath911 macrumors newbie

I have a 13" macbook pro, it suddenly shut down and now it won't startup again. (There's no noise and no light) the battery is charged and the indicator light is orange but when I push the start button the indicator light turns green (and it still doesn't turn on). The battery is charged at least up to 50% when it shut down and the lights on the side indicate its still around that percentage.

I slept on it and charged it again but it still won't turn on.

Hope someone can help me. :)

2. techno96 macrumors member

Try holding down Command-Option-P-R while turning on

3. /user/me macrumors 6502

That's a PRAM reset - It won't fix the issue. Pram stores :designated startup disk, display resolution, speaker volume, and other information

Conditions that necessitate a SMC reset::
    "Power
    The computer doesn't respond to the power button when pressed.
    A portable Mac doesn't appear to respond properly when you close or open the lid.
    The computer sleeps or shuts down unexpectedly.
    The battery does not appear to be charging properly.
    The MagSafe power adaptor LED doesn't appear to indicate the correct activity."

. OP needs to do a SMC reset. Hold down Shift control option on reboot and it'll work.

4. sivath911 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried this but all it does is have the indicator light turn green- other than that it's still dead (no sound of even the disc attempting to start up and no display).

5. /user/me macrumors 6502

Is it still under Warranty? Then take it in!! :)

6. sivath911 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope but I plant to that anyway tomorrow since I need my mac :s

Thanks!

7. tmsimmons56 macrumors newbie

My late 2011 MBP had the same issue. It was my motherboard, so 5-7 days with out and 310.00 since I did not get the extended warranty. Now I need a back-up laptop!:( Hopefully for you it's a battery or switch.
    I was a bad couple of days as I needed my laptop to DJ a wedding, I got it done, but got very little sleep.

8. Macman756 macrumors 6502a

Macman756

??? All Late 2011's have their limited one year warranty remaining. Are you sure you didn't have liquid damage?

9. pbkates macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for this! I just did it with my mac. God bless you!!

10. Mollymoonshine macrumors newbie

This happened to me around two years ago. Exact same problem, I took it into Mac and they said it was a motherboard problem. BUT, two years down the line a friend is convinced my poor mac can't be broken, has a fiddle with the battery connectors and just turns it on again...!! Apple wanted to charge me £700 to fix the original 'problem'.

Having said this. My mac ran out of battery the other day and won't turn on again. I believe it is a battery problem and not a motherboard problem