Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taxidriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Greetings , bought a macbook pro 17" 2011 around 1 week ago and today finally got time to try to game on it .

So i ran Amnesia for a bit then closed it , then i opened up safari and a bit after i decided to launch Amnesia again , what happened after was bizzarre , i started seeing the safari window overlapped on the game , not being able to click on the game anymore or being able to suhtdown or restart .

So i had to force shutdown by holding the power button .

Then i restarted the mac , and same thing .

So i decided to do a fresh install just in case something i had installed had messed something up , same deal .

So pretty much the way i can do this is by :

Run Amnesia (didn't try other games) for let's say 5 minutes .

Then exit the game , open up safari can be on google or so nd relaunch amnesia .

System gets hosed right there

I'm running 10.6.7 , tried it with my imac and a costumer's 2010 macbook pro and couldn't replicate the issue .

Also in one of the tries to relaunch Amnesia some error popped up saying "couldn't initialize display" wch i googled and appeared to be some error due to the graphics card switching .

Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else with a 2011 mbp can replicate this issue , otherwise tomorow it's time to go return it to the store .

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Greetings , bought a macbook pro 17" 2011 around 1 week ago and today finally got time to try to game on it .

So i ran Amnesia for a bit then closed it , then i opened up safari and a bit after i decided to launch Amnesia again , what happened after was bizzarre , i started seeing the safari window overlapped on the game , not being able to click on the game anymore or being able to suhtdown or restart .

So i had to force shutdown by holding the power button .

Then i restarted the mac , and same thing .

So i decided to do a fresh install just in case something i had installed had messed something up , same deal .

So pretty much the way i can do this is by :

Run Amnesia (didn't try other games) for let's say 5 minutes .

Then exit the game , open up safari can be on google or so nd relaunch amnesia .

System gets hosed right there

I'm running 10.6.7 , tried it with my imac and a costumer's 2010 macbook pro and couldn't replicate the issue .

Also in one of the tries to relaunch Amnesia some error popped up saying "couldn't initialize display" wch i googled and appeared to be some error due to the graphics card switching .

Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else with a 2011 mbp can replicate this issue , otherwise tomorow it's time to go return it to the store .

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post

It's probably due to the new drivers on the new gpu. Give it some time, kind of seems apple rushed the new MBP out without as much testing as they should have done. I bet we see some updates soon.

SPEEDwithJJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 2, 2008
Based on your issue, I'll humbly suggest that you bring it in to an Apple store (if you're near one) to have a Genius check it out & fix the issue for you ASAP. Good luck. :)

taxidriver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Greetings thanks for the suggestions , i will probably swap it , no apple store here but i bought it in a big surface that will trade it if within the 14 days limit and since the mbp came with a slanted space bar and bit of a crooked expressport slot port i think i'm better off just trading it in .

But yeah would still like to know if it's duee to drivers or hardware , i guess it's drivers tho as seems a bit of a odd problem only happening when i run game , close it , open some sort of window and relaunch game then boom no more fun .

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.