Problem with MacBook Pro after HD Upgrade.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaddieBrad, Jun 21, 2010.

1. MaddieBrad macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

Hey guys,

So I am on a pre-unibody 17" MBP. The system specs are:

2.5 Ghz Intel Core2Duo.
    2GB Ram 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    I think the HD was a 180GB drive? (Cant remember for sure)

Anyway... I decided that I wanted to upgrade my Hard Drive to something a bit quicker and with more capacity. I upgraded my HD to a 500GB 7200 RPM Hitachi drive. Before I swapped the drives I made an image with the disk utility, and then after installing the new drive i copied the image to the new disk, restarted and voila... everything seemed to be working perfect. However it seems as though since my upgrade that my computer is soooo slow. Programs are constantly locking up and overall performance is slooow.

Did I do this wrong?? I really want to do a fresh install but I am not sure the best way to do it. I use Time Machine... should I just backup with Time Machine...do a fresh install of the OS and then recover from Time Machine? Or am I just better off just doing a fresh install and then copying over the files individually using an external HD or something?????

PS... I have just bought a memory upgrade now from 2GB to the max which is 4GB. Will this help me out much?
    I should mention that the work i am doing on this machine is high end HD video on Final Cut Pro, and also handling 20MB RAW files from my 5D Mark II on Lightroom and Photoshop.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Regards,
    Brad

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Backup with Time Machine and do a clean install, that's the best way

3. MaddieBrad thread starter macrumors regular

MaddieBrad

the thing is tough... with time machine doesn't it just create an image as well? I think there are corruptions in the file structure. I have even tried defragging with "idefrag"

B

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Time Machine just backups your files and apps, it won't really touch the system files which might be corrupted. You could just copy your files (photos, music etc) to external HD and then do a clean install and start from scratch and reinstall all apps you need