Problem with MacBook Pro creaky screen/hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omw, Jan 19, 2009.

1. omw macrumors newbie

I'm using my second late 2008 MBP. I got the first one replaced at a local Apple Store because of graphics issues. After having this one for a few weeks, I've noticed that most of the time when I move the screen down or up, I hear a slight yet obvious creaking/cracking noise. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, but I think it is a misalignment of the screen hinge. Here are some pics:

Left side of hinge (not touching the aluminum unibody at all):
    [​IMG]

Right side of hinge (all of it is in contact with the aluminum):
    [​IMG]

I've already taken it to the Genius Bar at the local Apple Store, and the guy I talked to (the same guy who gave me the replacement last time) told me that they could not replace it, but could realign the screen for me. I ended up telling the guy that I might come back later to get it repaired, but wasn't sure. What I am wondering is if this problem warrants a replacement or not. I've had bad experiences with repairs before and would like to just get a replacement instead of hoping that the technician knows what he/she is doing. Any advice/of you had the same problem with your MBP?

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Let them try to slightly move the hinge rubber thingy, or realign the hinge or whatever... first. It doesn't look like a major issue to me, as long as the laptop is working well otherwise. Imagine if every new car was replaced for similar issues, rather than fixed under warranty. Very few cars would ever be kept, and most folks would get two, three or even four or five new replacement cars in the first couple of years. Detroit... and Japan would have both been broke long before this.

Why does everyone always want a replacement product for every little thing? Just use your computer for what is was designed for. It won't remain new forever unless you put it in a safe...

PS: Sorry... didn't mean to sound harsh. But just saying be reasonable, and they should be able to take care of it.

3. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

The cracking/creaking noises don't bother me that much right now, but I have a feeling they might worsen even if the technician at the Apple Store attempts to repair the hinge (which they're not sure is even the problem). I just tend to believe that if a product, especially at the price premium that Apple charges, is defective or problematic in any way right out of the box that the company should have the courtesy to replace it without having to rely on a repair. That said, I still might try the repair route and see how that goes.

Has anyone else had this problem with their MB or MBP? If so, how did you get it resolved?

4. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

Disappointed in Apple's repair service

The Apple Store called and said that my repair was finished a few days ago. So I came in, not knowing what to expect of the technician's repair skills. When the girl presented me with the laptop and the repair confirmation signature sheet, I was stunned by what the technician had done to my MBP. The screen was completely off center and uneven, not flush at all with the body (I could touch the area around the trackpad with the screen completely closed). Also, the lower left hand corner of the bezel was completely detached (and from what I could tell, broken) from the hinge. And to top it off, there were a few pretty severe dents and scratches visible on the body. But hey, at least I think they fixed the creaking problem, right...?

Needless to say, I did not sign the repair confirmation sheet and left the laptop with them to repair the damage they themselves did to the MBP. I am expecting a call from them tomorrow to see if they were able to fix anything. If I ever have a problem with an Apple product again, I will be sure never to use their shoddy retail repair services again.

/rant

5. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

14 day satisfaction guarantee?

The store ended up giving me another replacement because they had damaged my laptop beyond repair. However, this one seems to have the light leak issue where I can see the LEDs glowing on the bottom and left of the screen (especially distracting when doing things such as watching movies). It is the exact same issue as is seen in this large thread on the Apple forums: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1756744&tstart=15. The guy at the Apple Store said that it was a problem with the screen inverter and that they would have to replace the whole screen assembly. I'm probably not going the repair route this time because of how horribly they did last time. Can I demand a replacement because it has been less than 14 days since they gave me the replacement, or can I not because I didn't buy the original laptop from Apple, but from Amazon. I asked and the manager told me that I would have to go through Amazon for another replacement, but I am not sure if he was telling the truth. On the other hand, I may just keep my current replacement because I know that the next one will probably have just as bad or worse issues with it.

Here is an image of the issue my screen is having:
    http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/5716/img0130hm3.jpg

6. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Damn...You just can't catch a break with your MBP can you? Call apple care, and see what they have to say.

7. bigdb11 macrumors regular

I seem to have the same thing you are talking about. My hinge makes a slight noise when i first push it down or up. It only happens sometimes and is literally just one sound at the first touch and that is it. It did not seem to do this at first, although like I said the noise is very quiet and you pretty much have to be listening for it in a quiet room. Additionally, it doesn't do it all the time. I think the problem is that when the computer gets hot/cold the black plastic part around the hinge expands or contracts leaving a small gap between it and the screen. Thus, when you push the screen down or up it realigns itself and that's the noise. (I have nothing to back this up...just my assumption from fiddling around with it.) I'd rather have that noise then an F'd up screen and scratches and dents all over the body.

Anyone else hear this noise?

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Stop bumping threads; it's against forum rules as counts as spamming.

Yes my hinge squeaks a bit. No I don't care about it. If you care so much just call Apple and have your machine exchanged.

9. bigdb11 macrumors regular

Is yours a squeak or like a quick clicking sound? Does yours sound likes it the rubber hinge rubbing?

10. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

AppleCare said that it is within Apple's manufacturing specifications, while I know it should not be. They could not do anything about it.

11. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the bumping. I did call Apple and they could not do anything about the issue because it is within their manufacturing specifications.

12. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

bigdb11, I have noticed that my most recent replacement they gave me because they damaged the one before that has the same noise problem. I'm probably just going to keep this one though because they can't do anything about the light leak issue my screen is having.

13. bigdb11 macrumors regular

This is my 3rd MBP, I had my first one replaced because of it. My second one had scratches all over it right out of the box. This one seemed to be perfect until I noticed the clicking the other day. I don't know if I wasn't paying attention before or if it just starts to happen to all of them sooner or later.

Is yours hard to hear unless you are listening?

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Its sounds like a door hinge in need of lubrication.

OR

The spring mattress in a cheap motel.

15. bigdb11 macrumors regular

Any updates? Is your noise a clicking noise that happens every time or only sometimes?

16. omw thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the long delay. The noise happens most of the time, but not all of the time (whenever I initially move the screen up or down).