Problem with Macbook Pro unibody keyboard (it doesn't respond)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jacko221, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jacko221 macrumors newbie

So... Sorry if I am starting a redundant topic that's already been posted but I have a pretty annoying problem. Yesterday after looking at my Macbook Pro unibody keyboard and seeing that it was full of grime and nasty dirt I decided to clean it. I used a small power towel and just a little water and soap, I cleaned the keyboard and scrubbed at it vigorously. (I used soap and a little bit of water because I'm in Thailand at the moment and that was all I had) But immediately after I did this I noticed that my keyboard began to act wonky and only certain keys were working. I decided to power off the computer and at first I ran into the problem of not starting up Mac OSX due to installing Boot Camp and running into problems with that. But finally I did make it back into Mac OSX surprisingly and found that everything was working fine except for my keyboard. I then turned the computer off and attempted to let the keyboard dry out before starting it again a few hours later. But I had no luck and the keyboard remained dead. I reiterate that everything else works great, the trackpad works, I can start my computer, charge it and connect to internet, etc etc but the keyboard just won't respond. I have now resorted to using a plug in keyboard and I'm getting increasingly annoyed though with it. Does anyone have any ideas for me? I know I bought applecare when I purchased my Mac but I'm in Thailand and don't have it with me at the moment. I'm thinking about going to the Apple store where I am (luckily they have them out here) but I am worried about how much that is going to cost. I also looked into replacing the keyboard and I would have to replace the topcase which looks pretty expensive. Well hopefully someone can give me some enlightening advice because I definitely need it haha.

2. Jacko221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright guys, well damn I guess I'll just go to the Apple retailer in Thailand if you guys don't have any suggestions. I'm a bit disappointed with this forum now to be honest...

3. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

If you registered the applecare, you don't need anything but the serial number. However, using water to clean the keyboard was the problem. I think you have killed the keyboard and voided your warranty too because you damaged the MBP. Try and get it fixed, fingers crossed they won't notice.

I think trying to use paragraphs will help.

4. Jacko221 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, I'm gonna go to the Apple Store in Thailand where I am at the moment and have them look at it. I'm just freaking out because yeah im not in the US and I also feel like a total idiot at the moment because of this out of warranty thing.