? Problem with MacBook Pro Wifi? 11MB Transmit Rate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BadboyHouse, Jun 4, 2012.

1. BadboyHouse macrumors 6502

I'm sat here, right next to my wifi router and the wifi status on my MBP is giving me an 11Mb Transmit Rate.

I've turned off any fully disconnected our cordless landline phones, the microwave is not on and there's nothing else in the house that could be causing wifi interference.

I just don't understand why the Transmit Rate would be so low sat when the MBP is sat 5cm from the wifi router. The RSSI is -45.

No wonder I can't stream music to the Airport Express.

Earlier in the conservatory I was getting 54MB Transmit Rate!!

Wish I could figure this out.

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

11mbs Is about the transfer rate of 802.11b... what speed is the router? If you want speed, you should look for wifi g or n speeds. Also- maybe the channel you are using is rather full, I think you can switch the channel settings in the wifi utility.

3. kgallag1 macrumors member

transfer rate of wifi

Are we talking megaBITS per second, or megaBYTES peer second?

If Megabytes, you could be dealing with issues of overhead from your operating system or perhaps a limitation of your wifi router, some have more processing power than others. You could also be dealing with contention with neighbours' routers, perhaps try alternate channels for the wifi? You could also disable downward compatibility on the router (no 802.11G/B for example)

4. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

My router is a wireless G model.

The transmit rate on the MBP keeps changing from 11 to 36 to 54

Something *has* to be interfering with it but I've turned everything in the house off apart from the router and the MBP.

5. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Fiddle with settings on the router? Does it have any sort of automatic channel or frequency switching? I don't know..

6. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Try different channels. Typically 1, 6 and 11 are the best choices due to leakage. Also cordless phones (landline 2.4Ghz models, not cell) and microwaves cause interference on the 2.4Ghz frequencies.

7. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm getting the numbers from the wireless info you get by pressing option and clicking on the wireless icon at the top of OSX.

In the last few seconds I've been checking it it's gone from 54, to 24, to 11 and back to 54

I'll try a different channel see where that gets me.

8. BadboyHouse, Jun 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012

BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just tried all of the other channels that my router will let me pick. They also all fluctuate the transmit rate but mostly stated at 11. jumped up to 54 a couple of times.

I might have to try a different router.

9. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

What are your actually transfer speeds when you try to transfer a file on the network?

10. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

I only have my MacBook Pro - don't have any other computers to transfer data from/to.

I just think that the Transmit Rate being 11 most of the time is what must be causing the Airport Express streaming to keep cutting out?

I'm sure its either interference or a fault with the wireless router.

11. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

Are you merely concerned about the Transmit rating telling you 11? Or are you actually seeing issues with your connectivity?

What do you mean by "Airport Express streaming to keep cutting out?"?

12. BadboyHouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Both.

When the transmit rate is 54 I can stream music to my airport express at the opposite end of the room.

When the rate drops to 11 (or less) the steaming starts cutting out.

I've eliminate all sources of interference - phones, microwave etc etc.

Also, it's the fact that it keeps fluctuating between 54 and 11 when the MBP is sat next to my wifi router.

All I can think is that the wireless on my router is playing up.

AirTunes constantly cutting out is so annoying!

It only cuts out when the rate drops. Unfortunately this happens pretty much constantly - ill get say 15 minutes of perfect streaming, then the rate will drop and it'll start cutting out.

Originally I thought it was interference but now I'm thinking faulty wireless router.

13. sgtcasey macrumors newbie

Right next to the wireless router is often not an ideal spot for your machine. Some suggestions:

1. Make sure your wireless router is placed high up without anything around it. A good spot is the top of a bookshelf without any books around it.

2. If you have external antennas make sure they're at a 90 degree angle to the floor.

3. Since you're running 802.11b still make sure there are no other devices connecting to your wireless router which require or are using this 802.11b. Even if you have an 802.11g wireless router if just one device connects at 802.11b speeds *all* devices have to drop down to the 802.11b speed as well. Best option is to disable 802.11b unless you need it.

4. Devices external to your house can also cause wireless interference. Some other well-known offenders are Bluetooth devices, some cordless phones, wireless keyboards/mice, microwave ovens, other wireless routers in the houses around you, and so on.

5. Find out what wireless channels are being used around you and then pick one that has the fewest number of users. The channels to choose from at 1, 6, or 11.

Good luck!

14. cinephoto macrumors newbie

switch to 5GHz

I've had the same problems trying to stream music - the transmit rate directly affects the airtunes streaming.

I finally gave up on a 2.4GHz network and switched to 5GHz - it works A LOT better, but not flawlessly. I'm still having intermittent problems with my MacBook Pro's transmit rate. It's very inconsistent.

Right next to the MacBook Pro is an iMac that has consistent transmit of 300, which leads me to believe my MBPro either has damaged, or poorly designed wifi.

I have zero issues streaming from the iMac, using a 5GHz network