Problem with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by virginblue4, Mar 10, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Hello, I have just had a Facebook message from a distant family member and can't answer it myself. I'm just going to copy and paste it here and hope for some answers. Thanks very much! :)

Basically I've had it now for about 5 years now but never had any problems with it before.

I had got used to leaving it on quite a lot of the time just like on standby so I didn't really surprise me when the battery died on me a couple of months ago. I don't really use it that often really so I didn't really mind too much it still worked when it was plugged in. But then after a few weeks it died completely and wouldn't work at all! I found a replacement battery on amazon for about £20 because it had good reviews and I didn't want to pay Apple prices for a new one!! Seeing as I've had it so long I don't want to spend loads of money to fix it so wanna do it as cheaply as possible if I can.

Anyway the replacement battery was fine for about an hour! But considering it had 72% of battery straight away I was a bit annoyed when it went down to 15% after less than an hour then just as I was about to plug it into the mains it just died completely and wouldn't do anything. Even when I plugged it in to charge it wouldn't turn on or anything # I don't have a clue what's wrong with it..whether its the battery that's actually rubbish or its maybe the mains charger that's broken or something but I just thought u might know what I can do. I was gonna try it with one of my friends' charger just to see if that would work. Or I could take it to the Genuis bar but I just don't wanna pay a lot to sort it out really!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Non apple batteries have a tendency to crap out, they are usually cheap chinese knockoffs with little to no quality control.

If you don't want to pay for an Apple battery, you could at least try to borrow one from someone you know that has the same computer. Else, I'd do just like I would in a car: start with the cheapest solution that could potentially fix the problem, and work your way up from there.

Start with the charger, it could be bad, it happens, then the battery, then full on diagnostic by a professional.

3. trikky macrumors regular

Eliminate all possibilities. Borrow a genuine, known working battery from someone and see if you can replicate the problem. If you can replicate the problem with the legit battery, then you know it's not the battery.

I would agree with the other post that non-genuine batteries off eBay are likely going to be mostly unreliable. That's why I only buy legit batteries on the one or two times I've had to do so.

4. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Thanks for both of the replies. Like I said, this is someone else's problem, I don't have a MacBook. I'll pass the messages on :)