Problem with MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by S.Locksmith, Jun 6, 2013.

1. S.Locksmith, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013

S.Locksmith macrumors newbie

I have serious issue with MacBook Pro. It has two OS - Mac OS X (Lion) and Windows 7 Ultimate.

Yesterday Mac OS X was turned on for maybe 15 minutes, and suddenly it freezed. So I had to shut it down with button. Then I turned it on with pressing Alt to get to the choosing Windows OS or Mac OS X or Recovery HD. But there was no Mac OS X choice. It dissapeared. So I tried to turn on Windows. It freezed on "Starting Windows". Then it restarted itself and gave me choice to start windows normaly or with repair. So I started repair. After maybe hour of progressing, it wrote that it could not be fixed.

I tried this same thing two times again and finally Windows could be started. But it was not working well. Everything what I tried to start was starting about 10 minutes, for example internet browser Opera. And when some program started, it was not responding. Also when I tried to get to the Mac files trough Computer - Mac OS X - Users, it started to not responding.

Next thing I did was turning off computer and turning on with pressing alt, and choosing Recovery HD. There I tried to reinstall Lion, but I could not because every part of HDD was locked. I can not use "Restore from Time Machine backup". I tried First Aid in Utilities, to verify disk Mac OS X. It wrote: This disk needs to be repaired. So I clicked repair. It wrote error: Disk Utility can´t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

So Windows is working but with freezing and not responding, and I can´t get to the Mac. What should I do? How to back up files and reformat the disk? Is HDD dead? Will I be able to get at least files from Mac?

2. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Hi, welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having problems and I'm afraid that I can't help solve them for you because I just don't know enough! I just wanted to advise you that you might get more responses if you reformat your post.

A large block of text like that can be enough to put people off reading it. If you break it down into smaller paragraphs, you'll probably find that more people will read it and, therefore, reply.

I hope someone can help you (though, to me, it doesn't look good).

3. S.Locksmith thread starter macrumors newbie

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

HDD is failing. Normally, I would say you may need to do a repair of the file system before saying it's the HDD, but since both OS X and Windows are having problems, it's more likely to be caused by a physical problem with the HDD.