Problem with Macbook temperature

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by twilliams9476, Jun 28, 2010.

1. twilliams9476 macrumors member

Ok. I have searched several places, and read several opinions about temperature. I have iStat Nano, and the temperature the CPU gets to is around 90 degrees C. (and that is just running iTunes, nothing else)...Does anybody else have an opinion? Other places I have read have said that it should be around 65 degrees, no matter what? What should I do??? :(

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Open Applications / Utilities / Activity Monitor, select to SHOW ALL PROCESSES and sort by CPU.

What does it tell you?

3. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Your CPU can handle 105C. So thats over 212F. Don't worry. If you do have a entry level 2.0GHz Aluminum MacBook, then its thermal limit is 90C, NOT 105C. In short, the computer WILL SHUT OFF if its getting to hot. Not to worry.

4. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thank ya'll! I was getting worried, because it was getting to the point where it was painful to touch the bottom or back edge of the computer...Does it make a difference on what you said if I have the new, unibody white Macbook?

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

the new unibody white plastic MacBook with the 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo P8600 can go up to 105C before throttling performance. The same applies to the old unibody white plastic MacBook with a 2.26 GHz C2D.

6. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

I have one more question. What should the normal temperature be when running one or two applications?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That depends on the CPU usage, as one application can use up to 100% CPU, while twenty running applications (often on my computer) only use 10-30%).
    I currently run 17 applications and my CPU is used for 20-25%.

Thus the temperature is dependent on CPU usage.

If you have a moderate climate in your surroundings 40 to 55 °C should be fine with less than 50% (out of 200%) CPU usage.

8. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so generally, I only run Firefox and iTunes, and I never use them at the same time...So here is an example: This morning when I woke up, I opened my Macbook up and started Firefox...Within 10 minutes, the CPU temperature was up to 89%...and getting hot enough to burn...Also, I read somewhere that Macs are designed to be fine if they are never turned off, just put to sleep...could that make a difference? Because I always just put it to sleep, not turn it off...?

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

CPU temperature is measured in °C or in °F, CPU usage is measured in %.
    Sleeping has nothing to do with higher temps, as only the RAM is powered during sleep.

Maybe Firefox has some Flash content, that wants to be displayed, which explains the high CPU usage.

Again, use Activity Monitor (instructions above) to pinpoint the exact process(es), that use that much CPU.

10. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so new problem. I just got home from a church thing, and I opened my macbook and logged in...I didn't open a single application, nothing but log in to my account on my computer, and within 2 minutes, the temperature had jumped from 36 degrees Celsius to 90 degrees Celsius...Would this be considered problematic?

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes, but can you please take a look at Activity Monitor (SHOW ALL PROCESSES, sort by CPU) before we just guess and guess?

[​IMG]

And if you have the time, get iStat Pro (www.islayer.com) to monitor the fan speed.

12. trayanscragg macrumors regular

trayanscragg

From the screenshot above it doesent look like your CPU is clogging up with the usage of other programs.. there must be something wrong with it hence its not normal to go up to 90 degrees straight after you turn on the macbook. dont let anyone tell you its safe , return it.

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's a screenshot I made to show the OP what I wanted, as many don't even know that program exists and what it is capable of. The activity shown is from an iMac, which is around 50°C right now.

The OP hasn't answered yet, so we don't know what the problem is.

Maybe the MB is broken, maybe not. Maybe we'll see it later.

OP, have you done an SMC reset yet?

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

14. trayanscragg macrumors regular

trayanscragg

oh i see , my bad i thought that was their screenshot. my apologies.

15. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so here is my screenshot from this morning:

Attached Files:

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There you have it.

Quick Look Helper is running amok, just close all Finder windows (OPTION/ALT+CMD+W) and de-select SHOW ICON PREVIEW from the Desktop View Options (CMD+J).

[​IMG]

17. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I did the 2nd thing (deselected icon preview), and I tried to do the 1st thing (close all finder windows) and it won't let me. When I do the Option + Command + W, all it does is the BUM sound...Is it normal for the application on light to always be on under the finder icon? Like this?

Attached Files:

18. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

A light under the application icon in the Dock means, that the application is running. As Finder urns all the time, closing every window will not close Finder, as with almost every other application in Mac OS X - closing a window (all windows) will not close the application.

Has the CPU use gone back?

As I presume, this is your first Mac, also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
    Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

19. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

No, the CPU is still the same... Quick Look Helper is still running like crazy, and I don't know what to do! :confused: :confused:

20. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Click the FORCE QUIT button in Activity Window and click the Force Quit button in the following dialog. See, if it returns.

[​IMG]

21. twilliams9476 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, so I had to go to Huntsville today (which is where our Apple store is), and I got help from one of the tech guys...In some odd way, when he turned it off, then back on, it fixed the problem...I don't know how, but it did...but thank ya'll for your help along the way!!! :) :) :)