Problem with Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by APPLEFAN8, Nov 30, 2008.

1. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

I sometimes come home like once a month and the computer screen is opened up and the screen is black so I think it is in sleep mode but it's not. When I hit the space bar nothing happens but then when I close it the white light on the bottom right of the computer is a solid white but then when I open it up it goes back to just being black. I have to hit the power button to restart it. Anyone know what the problem might be?

2. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Well do you shut it down before you leave? Or do you leave it sleeping?

3. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Leave it sleeping. I don't think I ever shut it down. I had it to sleep when I was in florida for 5 days. Maybe I'll turn it off from now on? :confused:

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I have had this happen before on my MBP but not the MB, there are posts on the Apple support forum that provide some setting guidelines. For me the de-installation of a widget. The one that monitors system performance, (the name escapes me at the moment) worked and it never happened again.

5. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

Do you have a bluetooth mouse or any other bluetooth devices. This was happening to me very frustrating. Just go to bluetooth prefs hit advanced and uncheck allow bluetooth devices to wake from sleep. Also do you hook up with an external display? this could be the problem also

6. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

If you leave it sleeping and an external bluetooth device wakes it while the screen is closed then when you open it up the display will be off im leaning towards bluetooth let me know if what i said before works it sounds just like the problem i was having! good luck!

7. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Yeah this could be the problem. It's called Istat?

8. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I have iStat on my MB and it is fine. If you have some kind of bluetooth device or USB plugged into it it will wake up and act like you have seen. Do not use any USB while it is asleep and turn off wake to bluetooth device. In fact, if you don't use IR or bluetooth turn both of them off to save battery life. IR is shut off in the security system pref and bluetooth is shut off in bluetooth.

Last thing I would try is resetting the PRAM by restarting and holding down command-option-P-R. It should make the startup sound twice then you can let go. Then you can reset the SMC by shutting down the computer, unplugging the power cord, removing the battery, and opening the lid to hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds.

9. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Wow I just noticed I had my bluetooth on my mac in Discovery mode. IDK if that makes a difference but I just turned it off. lol

10. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

it will make a difference :) that is what is waking your computer up and making it warm, since it was always scanning

11. APPLEFAN8 thread starter macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

yeah because for some reason my fan would come like 2 mins after I opened it up! Now I just shut it off. lol