Problem with MacPro - need help advice asap!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mushroomgod, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Hi All,

After some super quick advice!

Got in to the studio today to find my main Macpro (Xeon 2007 model) dead.

When I turn it on it powers up, but does not make any noise (No beeps, no startup), does not display anything on the monitor, the hard drive spins up but not long enough to actualy do anything - I think its just the sound of power getting to it.

Iv removed the hard drive, and all ram (apart from a 1GB), and all cables apart from the power and the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any idea/advice?

cheers!

2. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

PRAM reset is everything I'd try before calling AppleCare.

It really sounds like a dead PSU.

Edit: I presume you've already checked your electrical socket and power cord.

4. glay78 macrumors newbie

glay78

Unlikely PSU since its able to power up I think more like a faulty logic board.

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

The PRAM reset is a good idea (can't hurt, and it's quick).

But if it is faulty hardware, it could be either (PSU partially failed, not meeting current output requirements), or the logic board's shot (bad VR's, firmware got wiped,...). But I suspect the board more than the PSU with what little information is available.

OP, have you checked the LED indicators on the logic board?
    It could give some idea.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Little help with Diag LEDs (see attachment - had to cut it, whole file is too heavy). You can also try SMC reset. Check also RAM risers LEDs.
    Post results.

Attached Files:

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

8. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

same thing just happened to me, only i don't even get a response even when i plug it in. Its been over 2 weeks at the applestore, still no word.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Pull the power cord, wait 10seconds, and replace it. You're listening for a "click" (there's 2x relays in it, one on the AC side - the one you're listening for, the other activates off of the power switch).

Good clue as to whether or not its the PSU. As you've nothing at all, I'm thinking PSU, but it could still be the board. PSU is more likely in your case though.

10. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Thanks for getting back to me, and sorry for not replying sooner.

Right...we have a brake though of sorts.....

I have managed to start the machine, but with super basic graphics capability (640x480 and 8 colours), in Windows it does not see the gfx card.

I have swapped the graphics card out with a spair and I have the same problems.

It also will not start if I install more than 1gb of memory, anymore than this and it just powers up and never starts.

Iv reset the SMC, and looked at the LEDs, as well as using the little buttons, and I see the power and trikle (?) power are all running correcly.

I do have 3 macpros, so I could try another PSU...does anyone know how hard/easy it is to remove one and replace it?

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Have you tried with PCIe slot other than lowest?

About PSU, replacing it is quite easy (see attachment). If you're interested with whole file, PM me your email address.

Attached Files:

12. Mushroomgod thread starter macrumors newbie

you nailed it!!!!

It would seem that the GFX card/and the PCIe slot are dammaged, but putting a spair gfx card in the slot below fixed all the problem - everything no working as it was before!

Cheers for you help guys!

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Do you have AppleCare? If you do, I'd get that fixed before it runs out.