Problem with MactheRipper

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sgt.Pepper, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Sgt.Pepper macrumors member

I'm having trouble with MactheRipper and would greatly appreciate some help.

When I rip a DVD, the video file it creates isn't in English, it's ripping it as a foreign language dub.
    I've tried another DVD and the video file has the commentary playing over it. I've tried ripping a few times with different settings, and the best I can get in like one, of the several video files that make the complete video is in English, the rest aren't.

I'm not really sure how to fix this please help!

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I've essentially given up on MtR. Try Ripit ... it works for me for DVDs that MtR has failed on.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Since Handbrake now uses VLC to rip DVDs I have yet to find a disc that it can't rip properly (even Dark Knight or WALL E).

4. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

There are times when you want to queue up multiple Handbrake encodes. For instance, the DVDs our kids got for Christmas ... I ripped them using Ripit, taking about 30 minutes each (on a 1.83GHz CD iMac), and queued them in Handbrake overnight.

5. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

I'll have a look at Ripit.
    But at the moment I'm just looking for a solution to my MactheRipper problem.

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Handbrake is an encoder. It will not yield full DVD rips.

8. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Does ANYone have a solution to my problem it's frustrating as hell.

How do I ensure when I rip a DVD it rips to in english, without subtitles, or commentaries and certainly not foreign dubs.
    I just want to rip a movie to play normally.
    I have trouble accepting that there's no-one out there that doesn't have the answer.

9. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Coming from PC-land, I found the lack of a decent DVD ripper quite frustrating on the Mac. MTR works, but it's incredibly slow compared to DVDDecryptor on my much older PC.

0SEx is quite an old PPC app for the Mac but works well via Leopard & Rosetta on my Intel Mac mini - worth a look.

10. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to be rude, but that has nothing at all to do with my question. I'm not interested in other ripping programs at present or the comparative speeds.

I just want to know how to make sure when I rip a DVD, using MactheRipper, it rips it to be in english.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What we're saying is, if you're having problems with one program, try another. Why knock your head against a brick wall if a solution may as simple as downloading and trying another program?

The movie industry are constantly trying different DRM methods, which means that people writing these programs need to be constantly updating them. MtR, as far as I know, hasn't been updated in some time.

One instance is Prince Caspian. With MtR, ripping this would have resulted in a 65GB file because of the way DRM was implemented. There was no way around this in MtR (actually there was but that meant knowing what Title Set to rip). Downloading and using Ripit meant I got Prince Caspian ripped in 30 minutes.

12. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

It's weird because my my older DVDs seems to be giving me problems and new newer DVDs seem to be fine so far.

13. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

OK a couple of questions first off that I have not seen addressed concerning your MTR problems. First off are you using the old freeware 2.66 version that has not been supported for a couple of years or the current v.3.0 r14m version? Secondly, what mode are you doing your rips as-- as Full Disk rips or Main Feature Only extractions?

14. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for actually trying to help.
    I'm using the 2.66 version, should I get the v3.0 r14m, is there a link to it?
    I tried a variety and a standard full disk rip and the Main Feature only rip both gave me trouble.

15. Sgt.Pepper thread starter macrumors member

Ive since got the newest version (3.14 I think), and it is still doing it. Some DVDs are ripping to a foreign language and others have sections where the commentary is ripped. And it's not doing this to the occasional disk, it's happening to at least 50% of my disks.

What I'm most curious about is has, or is this happening to anyone else.

If anyone has Dazed and Confused out there and would like to try ripping it with MacTheRipper to see if it rips to english or not that would be cool to find out.

Does anyone out there have an explaination why I'm having so much trouble ripping? I'm in Australia if that effects anything.