Problem with magsafe, stops charging when I move the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gaviotica2011, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Gaviotica2011 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I've had my MBP for approximately 5 months and I absolutely love it, and everything was working fine until yesterday when my magsafe adapter suddenly stopped working, I disconnected it from the outlet and connected again, and after approximately 10 minutes started working again, however the connector gets extremely hot when charging.
    I took my MBP and magsafe to the genius bar today, and they tested it and it worked OK, they ran a diagnosis tool for the battery and charger and said it was fine too, so I returned home, I connected it again and started charging until I moved a few inches my MBP (I didn't even touch the cable or disconnected it) and it stopped working again. I think it has some sort of bad contact problem, but I'm afraid that if I take it to the geniusbar again they'll say it's working properly and wouldn't want to change it. has any of you had a similar problem?
    Thank you for your help and I'm sorry for the lengthy post :)

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Tell them you have overheating and you think it's a loose connection. Do you have AppleCare? If so, I think they should replace it for free. If not, tell them you're worried about burns and it doesn't work when you use it and get them to swap it for a new one.

3. Gaviotica2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for your reply! I don't have AppleCare but my warranty is still valid, I bought it 5 months ago. I'll go back there tomorrow and ask them to change it since it's not reliable (it charges intermittently at best) and because of the overheating.
    Thanks again!!

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Good. And just so you know, the free year you get after you buy the machine is the same as Apple Care :)Any problems you have that aren't caused by you get replaced for free. .if you van though, I highly suggest buying apple care before the year is up so you have extended protection. It also helps a TON if you're selling the machine used.