Problem with MAIL after upgrading to El Capitan

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by arcureo, Oct 5, 2015.

1. arcureo macrumors newbie

Hi-ho there... I just upgraded to El Capitan and I had the bad surprise of finding my inbox, on Mail, totally EMPTY! As if I never received ANY mail, during my job here at the University.
    It's the first time that happens after an OS upgrade and, believe me, this machine saw more than one upgrade, in its years of service!

Any help, here?

Thanks!

A'

2. thekayman macrumors 6502

from the menu bar, did you try Mailbox / Rebuild ?

3. arcureo thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did, and it deleted the very few messages I got in the meantime...

4. arcureo thread starter macrumors newbie

Twist of events... the old "I.T. crowd" trick (turning it off and on again) actually worked!!! I did it after the "rebuild", so it probably was the sum of those two actions! ;)

Cheers!

5. JacobyO macrumors newbie

JacobyO

Oh thank GOD!! I did the rebuild and nothing helped. Read your "turn it off and on again" tip and they seem to all be there now. Thank you for sharing.

6. Didjt macrumors member

My problems are still being fixed by software engineers in Texas!
    Mail won't open at all, an upgrade screen pops up, opens Mail then closes it and repeat ad infinitude. The problem is that it is like a video game trying to quit as the update screen dominates everything.
    There is a fix posted, but it doesn't work, tried it twice whilst on line with Apple support.

7. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

what fix? I'm having the same problem. I have deactivated all the accounts and i still get an endless loop of a window saying migrating data

8. Didjt macrumors member

9. dfritchie macrumors regular

dfritchie

mine was stuck in that loop. I shut down (power button), rebooted and then backed up my mailboxes to another drive and deleted them from my library folder. I was then able to start mail and import my mailboxes, has worked fine ever since.

10. laurim macrumors 68000

laurim

I called Apple Support and somehow got assigned a Sr. Support tech who determined my user account was corrupt. He had me create a new admin user and it's all working now.

11. Didjt macrumors member

No luck here, tried all tips on Macrumours to no avail. Waiting for my Snr Advisor to come up with something for her engineers