problem with mail.app while at school

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GabooN, Aug 13, 2009.

1. GabooN macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I have set up up mail.app with my gmail account using IMAP. It works perfectly fine for sending and receiving email while I am at home or otherwise. When I am on campus and using my schools wifi, it is unable to send emails and cannot connect to the smtp server. I would like to be able to use mail.app regardless of where I am so does anyone know what the problem might be or how I can fix it?

As a side note, I have never had a problem sending emails from my iPod touch over the last year while on campus.

Thanks

2. mrchinchilla macrumors 6502

mrchinchilla

The port (995) is blocked. I have the same issue,

3. GabooN thread starter macrumors regular

So it is just something you have been having to deal with? I'm used to using gmails web interface for emails anyways, but now that I got my mac I had wanted to use mail.app.

Let me know if there was a fix, but I suppose it is blocked on the schools end so.

4. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

ya its firewall/content filter. we have the same at school.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yes, it's most likely that the outgoing mail port is being blocked by your school.

You can either switch to the web interface to send mail, or save your mails to drafts and send them when you get home.

6. GabooN thread starter macrumors regular

alright thanks guys, now that I know what the issue is it's not that big of a deal, I was just racking my brains trying to figure out the settings.