Problem with Mail App

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mjo, Nov 17, 2013.

1. mjo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a macbook pro running OS X 10.6.8. The mail app was acting strange and opening a million windows, so I uninstalled it, hoping to do a reinstall from the original applications disc.

I did an app reinstall, but no mail app appeared, and now I cannot find a place online to reinstall from.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Matt

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Mail is not on the app disk, it is part of the OS and on the OS disk. Just pop in the first disk and reinstall the OS and you will get Mail back.

Backup first just to be safe.

3. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

@weaselboy, thanks! I will give it a try. I appreciate the help!

4. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Question

Will I have to reinstall data from the backup after installing the OS? Or does the OS not erase my data? I did a time machine backup, OS is installing now.

5. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Acting Weird

OK, the install of OS X is fine, and the mail app is, back. The problem now is that the app is back to doing what made me try to uninstall it in the first place.

When you open it, it opens a bajillion windows of itself and just keeps opening new ones until you force quit.

It looks like this (see attached.)

Any ideas?

-mjo

Attached Files:

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I do remember seeing another user with this issue in the forums about a year ago, but I can't remember what the fix was. :confused:

Quit Mail then try dragging the file com.apple.mail.plist in the folder below over to the desktop. To get to the folder open Finder then hit shift-command-g and paste in the line below and enter.

After you drag the file over to the desktop relaunch Mail and see if that fixes it. This file contains all the settings for Mail app.

Code:
    ~/Library/Preferences

7. mjo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok

Thanks, I will give that a try and see what happens. Should I leave that file on the desktop indefinitely? Or is there somewhere else I should move it to?

Thanks for your help!

Matthe

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can just trash it. I only suggested keeping it in case it did not help you could put it back and have you old settings restored.