Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
I use the "Mail PDF" action in the lower left of the print dialogs all the time to quickly email a copy of what I am printing. In Lion when I try it all I get is a spinning "working" action on the menu. After about a minute I get a popup saying:

"The action “New Mail Message” encountered an error."
Check the actionʼs properties and try running the workflow again.

I though those were standard options in the print dialog and part of preview or the operating system. Has anyone else had a problem with this? It looks like it is more related to the creating of a new mail message rather than creating the pdf.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Found the problem. It seems to be a bug in the Full Screen Mail mode. Can anyone confirm this? If I have Mail in Full Screen mode, then go to Pages or any program and Print then select the PDF option "Mail PDF", it will error after a minute. If I exit Full Screen mode it work.

joshfree

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2007
I'm having the same problem in Mountain Lion, but with Mail in non-full-screen (normal) mode. Anybody find a fix? :confused:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
There are some old copies of this workflow from previous OSes that don't work with Lion.
The "Mail PDF" workflow will be in /Library/PDF Services or <user>/Library/PDF Services. You can try opening the workflow in Automator, or creating a new one.

However, the easiest way to reinstate this feature is to create an alias of the Mail app in either of the PDF Services folders, and rename it "Mail PDF".
Note that items in the user PDF Services folder appear lower down the list on the PDF button menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.