Problem with Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mgirg, Apr 29, 2008.

1. mgirg macrumors regular

Hi,

I am new to mac and have set up my POP mail accounts with Mac Mail, and all seemed to be fine until today when i found all my old messages had been removed from the server. I have since found the checkbox to stop this happening in the future, but is there any way of restoring my old messages to the server, as i need to be able to access them at work and on holliday when i wont necessarily have my computer with me?

Thanks

Mike

2. Latro macrumors member

Mike,

I think you may be out of luck. Unless you send the emails back to your self I'm not sure if there is anyway to RESTORE to a pop server account.

An automator script may help you send them all back to the server though.

3. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

You don't say who your ISP is, but any decent one should have a backup going back at least a day. You also don't say if you still have the massages within Mail. If you do, and your ISP supports IMAP, you can change your POP account into an IMAP account and then move the messages to Mail's Inbox, which will also restore them to the IMAP server Inbox. (None of this, BTW, is unique to Macs.)

4. mgirg thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help. I still have the messages in Mail in my inbox, but my mail account is with doctors.net.uk, and they dont have a backup as far as I know, and it is POP only.

5. windowpain macrumors 6502a

I did the very same thing. Was trying out thunderbird on an old pc and didnt see the check box, it was off the bottom of the screen:rolleyes:.

Anyway, I managed to get them back into my yahoo mailbox (server) with a bit of effort.

I managed to mail them all to myself again,like Latro suggested.

It was a while ago but i think i put them all in my (web based imap) .mac account which then forwarded them to my yahoo account. I think I just dragged and dropped within the macmail program.

It also re-downloaded them (to my mac) when they reached the yahoo account. So I have duplicates of everything. and the dates are wrong (well, not wrong but not the date they were when I originally received them.)

It was a pain in the a---, and there may be a better way of doing it.
    I have since set up a google account which I forward (and archive) everything to. It was free and It means i'll always have a copy of things.