Problem with Maps on iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DMod, Jul 8, 2010.

1. DMod macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone else has been having issues with the Maps application on the iPhone 4.

When I setup a route somewhere, as I am driving along following the map, the route will just disappear randomly. I have to go and recalculate it again for it to come back.

It's bizarre, because when I first calculate the route, it shows the whole thing, from start to destination filled in. Once I start to follow it though, somewhere along the line it just cuts out.

Anyone else experiencing a similar issue? I have tried restoring to no avail.

Thanks!

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Not to belittle your problem but are you sure you're not just switching to the "Search" tab/button on the bottom by accident? :)

Going back to search mode will keep the map in its place but remove any directions you received from the Directions mode.

3. DMod thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not think that I am, but the way I have my phone docked in my car, there is always a possibility that I fat fingered it and didn't take notice. I will take a better look on my next trip.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience with this issue, let me know!

4. nvelker macrumors member

5. nvelker macrumors member

I am also seeing that my maps function doesn't gps my actual position correctly. Anyone else with this problem?

6. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

iOS4 bug - purple route line in Google Maps disappears mid-route

Since upgrading to iOS4, I've noticed that the purple route line in Google Maps disappears while I'm following a route. Touching the screen usually restores the route. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions to correct it? This was happening with 4.0 and after a clean installation of 4.0.1. This is on a 3GS. Here are a few screen captures of the phenomenon:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Yep, just noticed this the other day on my 3GS running iOS4. Very annoying.

I thought maybe where it ended indicated the end of that "segment" of the directions, but after watching it do this over and over, that's not it. It's a pretty inconvenient thing when you're trying to drive and pay attention to the road and when you glance down, your line is gone. I thought I'd missed a turn, but nope, it was just that the line had disappeared.

I'd love to see this get fixed, as I use the Maps app at work almost daily.

8. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

Exactly.

9. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've got the same issue as PecanEater. Extremely annoying. :mad:

10. PecanEater macrumors 6502

PecanEater

I found another report of this issue over at the Apple Discussions site - here.

11. JaZzMaN251 macrumors regular

JaZzMaN251

I did my first drive with Maps yesterday.

I tried both settings 'card up north' and 'compass'. Driving 'card up north' is sometimes a bit hard when having to do a couple turns in a row. But when I enable compass it often shows the 'compass interference' for a few seconds.

I also experienced the route 'bug'. Not that handy when driving a busy city...

My questions:

1. Is there a fix for the route 'bug'? (not the workaround of touching or zooming)

2. I can't seem to find any free (or moderately priced) navigation software that does 'follow the direction of the road/vehicle'. No voices are needed, I just miss the right view on the screen (facing the road/direction I'm driving).

12. Wushu2010 macrumors newbie

I have a problem with my maps in iphone 4s coz i open it when i come to philipines to try if the map was working ill show you what happen