Problem with MB White backlit

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Leonard.Green, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Leonard.Green macrumors newbie

It is my first post in here so hello everyone! :)

I have a problem with MacBook White Santa Rosa intel x3100 (non-unibody white that is)
    Sometimes, while using this Mac, LCD backlit goes off when lid is being moved.
    Picture is still on the screen and everything, just no backlit. It stays that way until lid is moved back and forth few times (sometimes a slight change of angle is enough).

As I assume inverter is rather working (only CCFLs goes off, LCD is still powered and showing the picture). Cables on both sides of the inverter are connected firmly to it and later to logic board as well.

My questions are :
    1. Can this be cables fault ? (broken just like one of the earphones in iPod).
    2. Can it be something wrong with the inverter that is causing the problem ?
    3. Is it possible that cable in connection with CCFL (if there is a connector) got loose ? (I haven't seen inside of this LCD yet, it is still in one piece with the lid).
    Or maybe it is something completely different, and I just got it all wrong with my assumptions ?

All input will be helpfull.
    Best regards,
    L.

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I had this issue on my white macbook. It is the inverter board. Take it to apple, because they had a repair program for faulty inverter boards (IIRC). They were going to replace my inverter board, until they saw water damage :eek::eek:... But, it's ok.... It was my own fault...

3. Leonard.Green thread starter macrumors newbie

That is good news :) but will this MacBook be fixed if warranty no longer covers it ? (no water involved ;) just age).

Also - is there any info about this inv. problem on the Apple site ?
    If so, I would be greatful for a link or something because I can't seem to find it on my own.
    I need this info because there is no Apple with Apple Stores in my country, so I can visit only certified resellers, and they are not that eager to help when given Macs with no warranty.

Thanks for replying and help :)
    L.