Problem with MBP and TimeMachine

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patriks7, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I have run into some very strange problems with TimeMachine lately. I've had this MBP from February and have had no problems backing up until two or three days ago. I just plug the HDD in and it just claims it is backing up, while it stays like that and doesn't do anything (see attached picture). I tried changing the settings, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions what I could do?

Attached Files:

2. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

The first thing that I noticed was the small amount of space that is available on the drive. I try to delete older backups and keep the drive lean.

3. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Oh yeah, that just reminded me that I imported about 1000 pictures last weekend when I was on vacation. Gotta go delete something then, thanks :D

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That space left shouldn't be a problem. IIRC Time Machine will delete the oldest backup if it needs more memory. You can try to delete some stuff but I doubt it will help.

5. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah I just found out that it was useless. I deleted almost 80 GB and it still refuses to back my things up. Now I have no idea what to do, since I can't reformat the HDD right now because I have some stuff on there which I have nowhere to move :confused:

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You can try to repair permissions but I doubt that will work too. Seems to be something wrong with the bundle on the HDD. Looks like you will need to reformat and start a new backup.

This is one of the things that seriously needs to be fixed for Time Machine. Concept is great but the way it's executed is poor. The backup process it uses is so sensitive that even the smallest change to the computer can throw off teh backup and even fail to do so.

7. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Just tried the repair thing and got this message:
    The volume My Book appears to be OK.
    I guess I'll try to back it up again and if it won't work, I'll have to reformat it or get a new HDD :(

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Sorry there isn't a fix. One can only hope to do basic troubleshooting like run disk utility and hope that it works. I wouldn't worry about your HDD going, it's not a hardware issue, it's software. After a reformat, it should be able to begin a new backup.

9. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

Sounds like the HDD is dying. The bad thing about backups is that the mechanics of HDD's eventually go bad. Thats why you should back up locally, burn things to DVD, photos, etc. that cant be replaced, and given to a family member out of the area for safe keeping, safe deposit box, and then backed up to something like carbonet.

10. Patriks7 thread starter macrumors 65816

Patriks7

OK thanks for the suggestions. I'll try to find a place to put the other stuff I have on there first and then reformat it.