Problem with MBP and UHD Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steubing, Jan 31, 2015.

1. steubing macrumors newbie

I have a Philips 4K UHD monitor attached to my Mac Book Pro (2014 model) via a mini display port cable. It looks gorgeous and works great except one thing.

Occasionally (not always) after the Mac Book Pro goes to sleep and then I return and wake it back up with the move of the mouse or keystroke, when the external screen turns back on, all the windows I had open on the monitor are reduced in size (to the size of the MBP's screen) and they are shifted to the lower left corner of the screen. All windows stay on the correct desktop, they just get moved and reduced in size.

It's getting annoying to have to move them back to the right place and stretch them back out to maximize the screen real estate.

My question is, is there a third party app that can automatically put the windows back where they belong when I log back in? A window manager of sorts?

Or, even better, is there a configuration change I can make to the OS to stop this from happening.

This seems to be an issue where the MBP thinks the external monitor is dissconnected, pulls the windows into it's workspace and resizes them to fit, then pushes them back out to the external monitor when it activates again.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

2. shbumc macrumors newbie

Sorry for not be able to help you but thank you for using UHD not 4K.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

In theory OSX should do it right and there is no need for a window manager. Such programs don't exist anyway to my knowledge.

You can try changing your best for retina - more space settings around and see if the problem goes away. It is odd. I have only a 1080p monitor but their is no disconnection. Though if there is I get a similar response. If the retina settings match up it is not an issue because the windows keep their size and only move around.